Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI with stock tank

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris Demartini, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I know a few of you have used the stock tank, how did you do it? Did you use the stock line? How do I hook it all up to the fuel rails? Pictures would be great too. Thanks in advance

2. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

biggrey71,

I purchased a new sending unit because I did not want to go through the headache and then find out the sending unit did not work.
    I cut the sending unit above the sending unit lever and below the sending unit lever. This was to shorten the overall unit lenght. Then I used a piece of MPFI hose to attach the pump to the lower portion of the fuel pump. The call this the insulator. On the higher portion of the sending unit, I use the same theory and used another piece of hose to attach to the higher portion of the unit. For the electrical connections, I took the old sending unit electrical feed and cut it and soldered the positive feed for the fuel pump to it and drilled a hole in the other portion of the sending units top cap. Then I soldered the negitive feed to the exising pickup tube and was done with it. It looks and works great. No gas leaks and it's working like a champ.

The fuel pump does fit down the exsting hole in the gas tank, it just takes some patience to get it down without bending anything.

Hope this helps.

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Did my TPI swap in Jan. of this year.Used the stock Blazer tank.Mounted a external pump to the passenger frame rail as close to the tank as possible.I've had no problems with fuel starvation.I've ran the truck on the freeway and though town for about 10 miles while the gauge read empty,no problems there either.Click the link to see pic's of my TPI install.E-mail me if you have questions.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292391623>http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292391623</a>

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>therobzilla- Do you have any pictures of what your talking about? What is your sending unit and pump from?
    BobK- nice photos. How did you hook up the feed line to the fuel rail? What did you make the hardlines out of? Was your intake manifold an 85/86 or was it an 87-92?

5. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

I don't have any pictures of the conversion. Basically all I did was cut the sending unit tube for lenght and added a wire thru the top of the sending unit, and it worked. It is much easier to use an external pump, saves a lot of trouble dropping the tank ect.... Unless you already have the internal fuel pump, use the external pump. Make sure you use Fuel Injection Hose after the pump on an external.

6. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Sorry,don't know the year of the intake.I'd have to get casting #'s off it.I'll assume it's the 87-92 intake.I used 5/16" steel brake line for the return line.I got the special lines to connect to the fuel rails from the dealer.Just get them for a 90-92 Camaro with TPI,5.0L or 5.7L,sorry I don't have the part #'s.If where you connect to the fuel rails is on the right side of the manifold it's from a 5.7L TPI.If the connecters come downfrom the right side of the maifold to the front of the manifold it's a 5.0L TPI.Got that from the dealer.He backed it up with diagrams showing that slight difference.You'll have to bend them up to fit your application.I used the stock 3/8" fuel line that was on the truck to feed the TPI,just spliced in the fuel pump and fuel filter.You might check the parts store in the "HELP" section.I've seen fuel line repair lines with that special end to it(the kind with the o-ring on it).

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I run the stock '79 tank also. My fuel supply works like this - from the output of the tank (at the top) I put new 3/8" rubber hose to the inlet of the pump, then from there I plumbed new 3/8" line all the way up to just above the frame rail by where the power steering pump is located on the drivers side of my motor. Then it connects up with the factory high pressure rubber IROC hoses to the fuel rails. For the 5/16" return line I use the same IROC hoses going down to stainless braided flexible rubber line and have that routed all the way back to the tank, following the 3/8" steel lines. Works great, have had this setup for 4 months with no problems whatsoever, and after Saturday's excursion to Sand Lake, can say it will handle anything. Lots of good steep hills there and had no problems.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

8. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I don't see a cold-start injector, which makes the runners of the '89-'92 variety. I also don't see the cold-start switch or hole for it on the lower intake, which makes it also of '89-'92 vintage. The plenum has an MAP sensor, which means it has the boss on the back for the MAP, making it a '90-'92 plenum. I can't really tell about the throttle body, but you can use the '88-'92 throttle body on the '85-'87, '88-'89, or '90-'92 plenum. You just can't use the earlier throttle body on the '88-'89 or '90-'92 plenum without some modifications.