Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPI

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Sep 3, 2002.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, I've got a 76 K5 With a stock 400cid 4bbl. How hard would it be to convert to TPI ??? And what price range would I be looking at ???

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

First, do a good bit of research on this. There are literally hundreds of posts about this over the past couple years. You will find most of your answers if you have the time.

Briefly (sorry, don't have a lot of time this morning /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif ), you need to decide MAF or Speed Density (I prefer SD), then get the proper hardware including computer, a set of heads that will bolt up to the TPI intake (and has the steam holes drilled for your 400 block), a good wiring harness, and TIME...........the chip will need modified to remove VATS (assuming it is a later model TPI setup, which I recommend) otherwise the truck won't start /forums/images/icons/frown.gif . You'll also need to safely set up a high pressure fuel pump supply. I wouldn't use the factory rubber hose connections for this...........I ran all new 3/8" supply line from tank to engine compartment.

Price is all over the board................could get a setup for $300ish or pay more.............harness depends................I paid $300 for a Painless that I was happy with because it's literally plug and play and well marked.............

Suggest you read a good bit...........get a couple of books on the subject. Go to www.amazon.com and check out the TPI swappers guide and Chevy fuel injection books.

www.fuelinjection.com
    www.jagsthatrun.com
    www.tpis.com
    www.azspeed-marine.com
    www.thirdgen.org (Camaro board with a TPI-specific BBS)

Many more sites are out there...............

3. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

Heres what I'm doing: 1991 TPI from a firebird (MAP), V-6 wiring harness from a '91 Grand-Am, factory manual for camaro for the wiring diagram (also can get from library), new WT/O2/AT sensors, F*rd 24lb injectors, crane adjustable pressure regultor, cable from www.akmcables.com, software from all over. Read this:

http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/promintro.shtml