Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPS replacement help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DUKSRULE, Sep 4, 2003.

1. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

I had to replace the Throttle Position Sensor on a 91 Suburban 2500 with a 350/4l80E. Can anyone tell me how to check the output to get it calibrated?

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Set the idle voltage @ .540v, +/- .075v. WOT varies some, but should be near 5v. Does that help?

-Dan

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I replaced mine this past summer and did nothing to it other than take it out of the box, bolt it on, and plug it in. Should I have to calibrate it /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Doesn't seem like anything is acting up because I didn't calibrate it.

4. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

What wires do I check the Voltage on? I would think that if I unplug the conector (round with 3 wires) that it wouldn't have any voltage at all. Do I just tap into the wires? Any idea on which of the 3?
    Almost got it
    Thanks

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just plug my scanner into the ALDL port and read the voltage from there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But if you have to do it with a meter, do NOT pierce the insulation on the wires. You'll create a place for water to get inside the wire and corrode it from the inside out. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Look closely at the weatherpack connector on the wires leading to the TPS and you'll see where the back half of it is folded over the connectors and locked into place. Very gently open the folded over part and you can get access to the back of the connector pins. Now slide a couple of pieces of very thin wire in from the back, to make contact with the pins inside. Then hook your meter to the pins. You want to measure from the center pin to one of the outer pins. If you aren't getting a reading that changes when you move the TPS through it's range of motion, move the wire on the outer pin to the other outer pin. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Now you can loosen the hold down screws for the TPS and adjust it until the reading is within specs. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

6. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

Thanks. That also brings me to another question. I have the AUTOXRAY scanner. When I first got it I used it on this truck. That is how I knew the TPS was bad. When I hooked it up last night it just said "vehicle not responding". Granted it was late and I was in a hurry but I am sure I had it hooked up right. Are there 2 ports under the dash? Maybe if there are 2 ports I has it in the wrong one.

7. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

There is only one ALDL port under the dash!

Harry, thanks for filling in the rest of the info I should have provided! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

8. HarryH3

Make sure the key is in the "on" position when you initialize the scanner or you'll get that message. The ECM isn't active until the power is on. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Once you get that working, the cable is long enough to take the scanner into the engine bay with you. Select the TPS reading and you'll be able to watch it change on the scanner as you adjust it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif The engine down't have to be running, you just have to leave the ignition turned on while making the adjustment.

9. HarryH3

Hi Dan! All those late night thrashfests on laketex's rig are getting to ya! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. DUKSRULE

DUKSRULE 1/2 ton status

I had the engine running when I was trying it. I am going to mess with it again when I get home from work. It worked fine before so I am sure it is something simple.

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I have the AUTOXRAY scanner

[/ QUOTE ]

Where can I get a scanner like that and how much? Is that just a basic code reader I could get a Walmart? Sorry for the hijack. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

12. HarryH3

Check out http://www.autoxray.com/products.aspx?sub=scanners&id=4 I bought mine at Checker Auto Parts for $149.99. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif It provides live, real time data from all the sensors. It will also capture a 30-second snap shot of data for help with diagnosing intermittent problems. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

autoxray xp240 is what I got.

All I can say is check ebay. There are tons of them available.

A code reader is 100% worthless, you can do the same thing with a paper clip. But that still doesn't mean you don't need a scanner or factory service manual.

14. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks, Harry, for the link and info /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif.

Dorian, I've got the factory service manuals. I had to pull code one time and did the paper clip thing. I got the "SES" flashes, but that didn't help me...I couldn't find where in my service manuals it tells you what code numbers correspond to what pattern of flashes /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I ended up having to describe the flashes on here and have someone tell me what numbers they were. Was I not looking in the right place? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif Please tell me I'm overlooking the obvious.

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The code "reading" is supposed to be pretty self explanatory. Can't recall the sequence, but I'm 99% sure the manual SHOULD tell you how to deceipher them/what to expect.

Even then, I'm sure someone on here has done it recently. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

16. HarryH3

You need to have ALL the manuals for your truck. There's a service manual, a unit repair manual, a wiring diagram, and a fuel, driveability and emission service manual. The latter of the four is the one that explains all of the error codes and how to troubleshoot them. It also provides excellent information on what purpose each sensor or output device serves, along with how it operates. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Some of the car manuals have the fuel, driveability and emission service manual included in the back of the service manual. But the truck maunals typically cover multiple styles (pickup, cab & chassis, van, Suburban, etc.) so there isn't enough room to cram it all into the service manual.

17. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've got all 4 of the manuals you listed, BUT I don't believe I looked in that emissions one...forgot I had it. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. HarryH3

Well that certainly would explain this: /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    I couldn't find where in my service manuals it tells you what code numbers correspond to what pattern of flashes

[/ QUOTE ]

The Fuel, Driveability and Emissions Service manual is the most informative one of the bunch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif