Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPS replacement issue, or something else?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Robert D, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Hey all, I replaced the following last saturday on the truck:

Throttle Speed Sensor (TPS)
    PCV Valve & vacuum hose connections
    Other vacuum hoses from Throttle body
    Water Temperature Sensor
    Air Filter
    Oil
    Coolant

Afterwards the truck idles very smooth and it seems to have a bit more throttle response. However, the temp gauge still does not work. Any thoughts? My next step will be to check to see if I disconnected the gauge on accident. The truck, though it was somewhat low on gasoline (should still have had ~4 gallons left as it filled up with ~26 gallons of fuel), died??? First it happened when I was sitting at idle, then less than 15mins later it happened while driving. The new TPS has room for adjustment, as the bolt holes are oval in shape. The original TPS has set holes without adjustment. Is there some sort of callibrating I need to do? When I first put it on the engine service light came on, so I moved it in the other direction and tightened it on and the light doesn't come on now...On the way to work this morning nothing died...maybe I will check the battery cables to make sure they aren't loose? I am dumbfounded, the truck starts right back up after it dies. Thoughts? :confused:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  2. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

bump...

3. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Somebody must know something to help me out?

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

I don't know the specs off the top of my head...may be time for a repair manual....

5. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I have a manual, although I did not read the TPS replacement as I had done it on the Porsche before and it was a simple bolt-off and bolt-on replacement. My concern lies with the fact the original had no room for adjusting and the replacement (from Pep Boys, ~37 dollars) has room for adjustment. Is there something I am doing wrong in setting the TPS all of the way to the right, so the bottom edge lines up with the edge of the throttle body?

6. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Also, with the air filter/intake off I found a disconnected two-prong wire. After looking around I saw the A/C compressor had a similar connection. So I plugged it in, turned on the car and switched the A/C on. SPARKS! The clutch had rusted a bit from not working and the sparks went away after about 10 seconds. BUT, I HAVE A WORKING COMPRESSOR! I thought when I bought the truck a month ago the A/C was completely broken. It turns out it is out of fluid, so if I buy new hoses and an evaporator/condensor it should be good to go eh?

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

TPS voltage should be right around .55V throttle closed, give or take .05

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

You beat me to it...

This is for a TPS on a TPI not sure if it is the same for a TBI..

Throttle Position Switch (TPS)
    Tools needed:

1. Digital Volt-Ohm-Meter (VOM)
    2. Jumper Wires (make your own)
    3. Auto Xray Scanner (if available) will eliminate the need for VOM and jumper wires.

Turn on ignition, but don't start the engine.

With a scanner: plug in the scanner and read the TPS voltage. It should be 0.54Volts +/- 0.075Volts

With VOM and jumper wires: disconnect the connector from the TPS. Using your jumper wires, make a connection allowing some room for the VOM terminals to contact the jumper leads and read the TPS voltage.

If out of spec, loosen the two screws holding the TPS to the throttle body, and slightly rotate the TPS up or down, reading the voltage until it comes into specification. Tighten screws. Using the throttle lever, rotate the throttle to WOT (wide open throttle). The TPS voltage should be over 4.0 volts. Close the throttle again, and then slowly open it to WOT, observing the voltage reading. It should increase progressively and in a linear fashion. If it sticks or jumps or falls off at all while doing this check, that could mean a bad TPS switch and could be a cause of stumbling and driveability problems.

After setting the correct voltage, turn off ignition switch. Remove jumpers/scanner and reconnect the TPS connector as required.

9. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll do that this evening. I think I'll take the truck by a DIY car-wash with the engine degreaser I bought over the weekend to clean out the dust covering a good majority of the motor. I assume i'll need to keep from spraying too much water near the throttle body?

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

what temp sender did you replace? the one in the intake or the left head. the intake is for the computer only. the left head one is for the temp gauge. comon problem with the parts store people you say temp sender and thay give you the computer one not the head one.

11. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

I replaced the water temp sensor in the intake, right next to the coolant hose (coolant shot out at me when I was removing the old sensor). This is the one I saw listed in the repair manual I have, hmmm maybe I read it incorrectly.

12. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Temp sensor is ECM, two wires.

Temp sender, gauge, is one wire, drivers side head.

13. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Ah, so I need to ask for the temperature sender. Sweet deal, I'll stop by an autozone on the way home and pick one up.