Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPS setting???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rh88k5, Nov 15, 2002.

1. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

I just did some searching for troubleshooting info on GM ecm codes, I had a code 24 (speed sensor), the info that I found said to check tps settings, does anyone know how to check the settings? I'm really getting tired of that orange light coming on! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I know you said you didn't want to get a scanner, but I really would re-think that if you plan on keeping the FI truck for any amount of time. An AutoXray can be had for about $150 (see it at www.autoxray.com ). Anyway, there is a way to check by using a voltmeter - tho I'm not 100% sure if this is the way since I use a scanner. You need to check the voltage across two of the pins, but sorry, don't remember which ones.............my TPI setting is .54 volts +/- .07, tho I think you have TBI and that is slightly different.

Someone will clue you in - sorry I can't be sure how to check them or the proper setting. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I don't have a scanner either...auto x-ray huh?Anyway I backprobe the TPS sensor with 2 paperclips and attach my digital voltmeter to them.It's kinda a pain-in-the-arse but I was able to do it that way.TPI and TBI systems are different,wire color wise anyway. Here is a link to the procedure needed to set up the TPS.

http://www.thirdgen.org/newdesign/tech/tpimod2.shtml

Goodluck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

If you have a laptop coputer, or your compter is close enough to stetch a cable, I would recommend you check out WinALDL as a scan tool.

I've used this program to troubleshoot my old '92 TBI camaro, and it is awesome. You can build the cable wih $10 in Radio Shack parts and a soldering iron.

Thomas.

5. rh88k5

rh88k5 Registered Member

Thanks for the link Bob, If it ever stops raining I'll go out and give it a try.