Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

TPS voltage specs please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bigburban383, May 8, 2004.

1. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I have a 90' Suburban with TBI and I need the specs for the TPS voltages. The reason I need the specs is because I put in a TPS from a cavalier TBI, hey it was free and it connected. I was getting .75 to 3.00 volts. Thank you.

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

.540V closed throttle

3. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

should be about .5v closed and about 5v at WOT.
    IIRC

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

we always went .550, But if you run it at .750, you get a little snappier throttle, but it runs a little richer at idle. I think the max on a voltage sweep is 4.75v.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When you are adjusting your TPS, if you cannot get it to stay in the range between the Closed Throttle Position Ohm specs and the Wide Open Throttle Ohm specs, just set the Closed Throttle Position spec, and forget about the Wide Open Throttle spec. It will work.

A long time ago I was setting the Ohm specs on one of the first TPS designs to come out, and I spent almost an hour trying to get it right. When I would adjust the Closed Throttle Position to the correct Ohms, then the Wide Open Throttle Ohms would be too low, and then when adjusted the Wide Open Throttle Ohms, the Closed Throttle Ohms would be too high. I tried to get it as close as possible, then I took it for a drive...the transmission shifted like...$h!t. I sat there scratching my head wondering what to do, when an old grizzled veteran mechanic came over and told me just to set the Closed Throttle Position, and forget the Wide Open Throttle Position. I did it, and it worked!

I will have to try BaBlazer73's suggestion of upping the Ohms, in the Closed Throttle Position to get more of a jump off throttle from a dead stop.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup. Setting up the closed TPS voltage wil give better throttle response. It helps get rid of the dead spot when you mash the throttle. I run mine at .60 to.70V if i can get that much adjustment. You can also hog out the screw holes to get more adjustment if needed.
    As long as you can get over 4.50 Volts at wot. Everything should be fine. Basicly when you get past 3/4 throttle the ECM is switched out of closed loop and runs under a programed full throttle fuel curve

7. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

where/how do you hook up the meter to get a reading? do you stick the probes into the connectors? i dont think mine is set up correctly. you check it with the key on, engine off right? sorry for the hijack.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

9. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

what muddysub said!!! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

should be the center wire. but cant remember, look for the one with 5 volts w/ key on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    where/how do you hook up the meter to get a reading? do you stick the probes into the connectors? i dont think mine is set up correctly. you check it with the key on, engine off right? sorry for the hijack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Best way is with a scanner/ALDL reader.

12. bigburban383

My Cavalier sensor is obviously not going to work if I am only topping 3.0 volts. It works for now I guess, better get a new one before I pull off with boggerless /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

sorry to hijack again, but i reset my TPS today and have a question. it was set at 1.32v, turned it down to .69v closed. but when i had a buddy put the pedal to the metal it only got to 4v. i can physically twist the throttle on the tbi by hand to max it out and get around 4.9v. could my throttle cable be stretched? is 4v enough?

14. bigburban383

Maybe its your TV cable not adjusted properly. Wait, maybe my problem is the TV isn't adjust properly (I got it way tight), Johny your awsome, I got to go check this out.