Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Track bars or Sway bars?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by slicer4559, May 22, 2006.

1. slicer4559

slicer4559 Registered Member

Hi all, I have a 79 GMC Jimmy, with a 10inch suspension lift and 3inch body lift, the axles have 4.56 gears and running on 38inch mickey thompson baja ATZ's, I was thinking about building and putting on trackbars, but by the time I got it all fabbed up and mounted I'd lose to much clearance between the springs and frame rails, so I'm thinking about using a good stout anti sway bar instead to eliminate more of the tracking and swaying i have. Anyone here have any input on the matter, or maybe a decent set of plans on making and mounting trackbars so i keep all my clearances?. Anything will be appreciated. email me if it makes it easier. b_keller46@yahoo.com. Thanks

2. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

Welcome to ck5. What are you trying to build this truck to do?

3. slicer4559

Its mostly an on road rig, 85% asphault, 15% offroad, so i'm tryin to get the wandering out of it, the new tires took care of 90% of it. so i got to get rid of most of the rest of it, so the wife dont freak!, when she drives it....lol.

4. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

have you had it aligned since the lift?

5. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

With that much lift, I would think the springs would control sway motion fairly well. For me the sway bar took too much flex away, and with 4" springs it drives well enough without a sway bar.

6. slicer4559

no, i havent, but i'm guessin, that to get it to come out right, you'd have to have the knuckle pivots cut off and rotated back into postion, i have 6degree shims in the front, and rear to help the drivelines out. it seems when on a good street, it drives just fine, but when you get on a well worn road is when i have the problems.

7. slicer4559

hi mouse, even though the front springs have poly bushings, theres like almost half an inchof poly sticking out each side , so even though there new, and 10inches of lift, you'll still get a fair amount of flex.