Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

track width

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 88K5Jimmy, Dec 3, 2001.

1. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

How do you measure the track width of the rear axle, what two points do you measure from?
    Thanks

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I believe the measurement is taking from the wheel mounting surface of one drum to the wheel mounting surface of the other side. That is outside to outside.

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

3. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Track width is the distance from the center line of one tire to the center line of the opposite tire. It changes depending on the wheels you use (more backspacing = less track width).

Just currious but why do you want to know?

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

4. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I am contemplating if a 6-lug 14bsf will bolt up to my 88 and have the same track width or close to the same track width as my stock rear axle. It is supposedly out of a 92 light duty 3/4 ton. I dont know if it is out of a 2 or 4wd. If there is light rust on the gears, is that good or bad?

5. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Light rust on the gears (surface rust w/ no pitting) is not too bad.

2wd axles are narrower than a 4wd axle. Some of these other guys know alot more about that kinda stuff than me.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>