Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tracking down a car?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ChevyCaGal, Jun 24, 2003.

1. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

My Grandparents used to own a sweet 64 Impala. I was cleaning up my Grandpa's little workshop a bit ago looking for some tools, and came across the orginal sales reciept of all things tucked away in a drawer. They traded it in in 1984 (thought it was 86, but I was wrong).... anyhow, I always regreted that, and could have killed them for it. Afterall, they traded it in (get this it has 50,000 actual miles when they did so, I found that paper for the other sale too)for a freaking Mercury Topaz, which is now the biggest pile of crap, I have the displeasure of owning (well I gave it to my friend, so technically it's hers now)....

Anyhow, I have the vin number (it says serial, but that's the vin right?). Can I find this car with that? See if it's still kicking around? Reason being, I'd love to buy it back when I go to get another car in the fall/winter. See if the now owner, would be willing to work me a deal... last I saw it, some guy had made it into a circus act, with hydrolics.... /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i think you can go down to the dmv and request a history of the vehicle, past owners, current owners, status, etc. you'll have to write a letter to sacramento stating the reasons, pay about $15, and wait about 3 months. Or you can get a police officer to do it for you all in about 2 minutes. He could get in trouble, though.

ARQ.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I wonder if someone could see if it's still around through car fax, and if it was run through that?

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

carfax only goes back to like 1984 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

5. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

Contact the State of California, Motor Vehicle Dept. They should have a "banking section" where, all the old record's, Title's, Transaction's, and other b.s. is kept.

I don't know about Cali., but Washington has one. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif