Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Traction Bar questions

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by morphed86k10, Aug 23, 2001.

1. morphed86k10

morphed86k10 1/2 ton status

I get a lot of axle wrap doing the type of wheeling I do, and had some questions on traction bars. First of all, is there a name brand that keeps the axle under control and doesn't hinder articulation much?
    Also, is there any complications with shackle flips and traction bars? It seems to me that the arc the axle moves through would be altered by the shackle flip, and regular aftermarket traction bars probably are not ideal with this setup.
    How did you set up the traction bars on your blazer?
    Does it come down to simply measuring the location of the axle at full stuff/droop and letting that determine the length andlocation of the frame anchor point? Trying to clarify what I mean, if the axle movement is an arc, and the arc is part of a circle, the anchor point of the traction bar would be the center of that circle?

Now that I've embarrassed myself, I'll spit out the question, what should I do to control axle wrap, when lift blocks are not the problem?

Sorry this was so long winded.

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I don't know what the scientific answer is to your question either....but I think you have a valid concern about the fact that there is NO one mounting point that will probably work throughout the entire range of suspension movement.

What about a "shackle-type" mount for the end of the traction bar....and bolt the other end to the axle. Maybe a greaseable one?

I have no idea if this will actually work in "real life".....just trying to keep your post near the top! [​IMG] I'd like to know the answer to this one for myself too....

-Greg72

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Well, I'd like to say that I did a bunch of figuring and calculating on the mounting points for the traction bars, but to be really honest with you, I just flat out gave it an educated guess. We built them at about midnight when we were supposed to be gone already and that's what I ended up with. The do work pretty well, it twists nicely (mid 800's on a 30 degree ramp) and really keep the pinion in line, but it's not something that I can shell out a lot of info on right now, since I really have no info on them!

There is a sweet spot in most leaf suspensions where you can mount a bar with minimum bind, and under and forward a bit is one of them. Another is above and behind a little, with the rear of the bar mounted a few inches above the ubolt plate.

Sorry I'm not more help on this one. Best approach (one of the things I'm going to do) is just get a tape and start flexing it out and measuring.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Another idea might be to stagger the rear shocks. I know it's not a traction bar, but it helps cushion the axle wrap and tame it down a bit. It -won't- "plant" the rear tires like a well designed traction bar, but at the same time, if done correctly, it won't limit articulation.

Yet, another idea. Try something like the new camaros run. They run 3 links (or four, depending on how you count your links). Anyway, the center link runs from the pinion nose, forward and ties into the tail-shaft of the trans with a slip-joint. This keeps the pinion lockated and will help plant the rears. Somekind of system like this would probaly work pretty good in off-road tarrain. (same idea as Sam's rig in last years TTC)

Just another pad to my posts.

<font color=white>It's good to be out</font color=white>
    <font color=white>Out of my mind and out of control</font color=white>
    <font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

You could mount a stiff shock right nest to the pinion. Make a custom mount on the rear end, and mount it to the body. That would work if you figure out how to mount it.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

6. Stephen

Wrap control shocks can work pretty well, but keep in mind they won't limit how far the pinion wraps up, they only limit how fast it wraps up. I have a couple of REALLY stiff shocks left over from my stock car I thought about using, but I'd have to run limit straps with them and the mounting got more complicated than I wanted to deal with on short time.

SW-ORD

7. Blazr77400

Blazr77400 1/2 ton status

Has anyone seen the Sams Off road Traction Bars. They use a double mount on the axle (one on top, one on bottom), and a Shackle at the other end. If you look closely at the Government Mule,(competed in the top truck challenge, I think in 99), it has one similar to it. I am going to be doing something like this. I will Try and get pics of it when i do it.

8. Stephen

I had planned on doing something similar to the "radius arm with a shackle" bar, but didn't have a good place to mount it, and it does have to run in the right place to work with the spring properly, which limited the locations available. That was my main concern. The other is the anti-squat characteristics of that type traction bar, they can really lift the vehicle under power which is not a great thing on a hill. I don't know if what I have is a lot better, but it should be at least a little better since the linkage geometry is a little more friendly.

SW-ORD