Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

traction bar tech

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Mar 14, 2005.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im gonna be building a single ladder bar type traction bar for my truck, but was wondering on length.

i have a LWB truck and was thinking that length would have more leverage to prevent it, but at the same time creating more bind because the axle pivots on the front leaf eye.

how much does length factor into it? i don't want it too short because the front ujoint is way away and the rear axle will now be controlled by the traction bar and may cause the pinion to rise too much.

2. big83chevy4x4

3. big83chevy4x4

preaty please?

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

There is no magic number (inches). All depends on where you mount the brackets front and rear

5. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Mount the top bars in line with the yoke of the ujoint on the tcase, as that will be the pivoting point. The most effective placement on the axle is said to be just under it however that causes a problem with ground clearance so it can be mounted mid-axle tube. I just made a set on a buds truck, that work awesome. I will try and get pics tomorrow.

I built them with leaf spring frame mounts from a jeep for the mouning point on the frame, 2.5" johnny joints then a set of tabs on the axle. Simple and easy. For the bars themselves I rocked some 1.5x.313 then sleaved it out for extra beef. I tested them over the weekendsand-drag racin and MAN, the boggers HOOKED!

Like big_p said, theres no "set #" of inches, it depends on wheelbase.

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Wanna build an extra set for me TJ????

Dunes are comming up fast!

7. big83chevy4x4

ok thanks, ill get to building it once i get my rear suspention the way i want it.

jess, i need more steel and bushings but yea ill build ya some.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

If you want to aovid binding with a single traction bar I'd suggest that you search out the old article on bc4x4.com (if it's still there). The guy used a Ferd radius arm and a tractor drawbar 'uniball' at the frame end of it. The pin on the end of the radius arm was free to both rotate and slide back and forth thru the hole in the ball.

Another option is to use a shackle at the frame end of a single traction bar. USe some squishy spring eye bushings or a johnnie joint at one end of the sackle.

9. big83chevy4x4

i plan on having a shackle at the end with a 1" bolt and nut welded to the tube for the twist (cheaper than a jonny joint). i have a new set of spring bushings here that im going to use.

ive done alot of searching on this, the only thing i wasn't sure about was the length needed.