Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

traction bars design

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by highrider_44s, Mar 28, 2004.

1. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

I am looking for help on a good design for a traction bar setup for my 81 chev truck( it has 4"shackle flips with 6" blocks) any ideas that won't hurt articulation or ground clearence much would be great
    thax

2. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

Not shoot you down. But you may try 6" lifted springs and take out the blocks.

That would take a lot of axle wrap out of the back I would think.

I'm assuming you don't need to do many other mods to swap them as it is already lifted now.

Or swap in 2"-4" springs with 2"-4" blocks. How ever you prefer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Check out these from JCwhitney, they are ground clearance friendly Here

This is what I made:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You lose a little bit of ground clearance, but those sort of protect the driveshaft anyway.

4. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

Have you had them off road yet, also do they limit your flex?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Those would limit flex by inducing bind, plus they don't really triangulate the diff...so they're effectiveness is questionable.

Rene

6. alaskanbowtie

alaskanbowtie 1/2 ton status

SO why don't you give us guys who want a traction bar set up some objective idea's on how to do this without spending 400 plus on a set made by one of the known sellers here on the sight and still keeping them fairly functional. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif... please.

7. highrider_44s

highrider_44s 1/2 ton status

getting 6"lift springs would be a good idea what company seems to have the best soft flexy spring

8. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

On the binding I'm with you...but on the triangulation...Leafes without much arch work good when in tension (which is what putting the bar under the spring does). I would bet he gets almost no axle wrap.

Russ and Rene both have a good design if you want to look at something different.

9. tRustyK5

I'd have to guess that with a 9 leaf pack he probably had very little if any axle wrap before the bars. I'm sure it works better than nothing, but using the main leaf for triangulation isn't the best way to do the job.

Rene

10. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

I did that because it was cheap and I have lift blocks which adds to axle wrap.

11. alaskanbowtie

I have ez-rides but don't really care for them they are still in my opinion to stiff. But I think ORD and some others make custom leafs with nice inserts. Trusty would be the one to ask he is one of the more intelligible people on the site. I was hoping that he would point you (& I ) to a good design for the bars when I said what I did but I think he ignored me LOL it was worth a try /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. tRustyK5

LOL, I'm not ignoring anyone. There is a product out there that I firmly beleive in and run on my own truck. I'm somewhat reluctant to post up because every time I do it seems to generate negative feedback due to the pricing. Yes it costs more than you'd expect, but it is also very worth it quality wise and I don't see a way to build it cheaper without compromising the design or the quality of the piece.

Here is the review I wrote up for the Az-Kickin anti wrap bar.

http://www.azkickin.com/antiwrapreview.htm

Rene

13. alaskanbowtie

Yeah that's a really nice piece but as you said you get what you pay for and it's not cheap. I would like to see something for all of us running 12 bolts. I know Missouri makes one and some others but it's hard to justify that much cash being spent on an extra with a wife and 3 kids all wanting something for themselves. So even those of us that are financialy ok still would like to see a design that was user friendly and yet cost effective to purchase or better yet buy the design plan and build it ourselves. I guess I should say this is how I feel and I think there are plenty of others that feel the same. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I'm just a cheap bastard /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif