Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Traction bars with leaf springs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dcell152, Jan 10, 2005.

1. dcell152

dcell152 Registered Member

What is the easiest way to put traction bars on a K5 with leaf springs. I have read if you use latter bars you have to useshackels at both ends of the spring. How hard is this to do, how bad is the flex affected? What is the best way to go? Any one have pics?
    :k5: My 350 is well built; 30 over, 2.02 heads, headers, Elderbrock carb & intake. It has some power.I'm in the proses of buying a 6 inch lift, either Alcan springs, BDS, or Tuff Country. I've been told I will have a proublm with axel rap:dunno:

Ryan

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

3. dcell152

That is sweet! How much and where can I get it? How well dose it work?

4. tRustyK5

It works exceptionally well, but isn't being made anymore. Pricing when it was being made was $875 or so...

Rene

5. dcell152

where would I get a kit at? I cant aford any thing like that. How hard would it be to fab one like the tube one?

Thanks
    Ryan

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I doubt you will need traction bars. Depending on what "2.02" heads and cam profile you are using but if the heads are iron and your cam isn't huge than you are probably making about the same amount of power as me and I don't have any issues, even with a 4" block.

7. dcell152

The heads are Sportsman 2, iron, the cam is an Extream Energy. I cant rember the profile. I was told the Alcan springs are really soft and would proulby need some thing to keep it from twisting. I cant find any one who sells BDS mail order. I dont live near a dealer.

8. tRustyK5

With 4" blocks and stock springs I had bad axle wrap. Did a shackle flip and went with 57" rears...worse axle wrap. Now I have Alcans going under it but the anti-wrap bar will control wrap.

A less visually appealing anti-wrap device can be made at home using the info in this thread alone (design wise) but you'll need a welder and some other tools and the ability to use them.

An alternative is to contact Steve at Missourri OffRoad (his nick here is 85M1009) and see what he can set you up with and how much it'd cost.

Rene

9. dcell152

Thanks guys!!! I have a welder and about every thing else I think I'd need. With the help of my grand father. I think we could make it work. There is no substute for experince, and he's quite a bit. I think I'll chech with Steve to.

Ryan

10. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

The one that Rene is talking about is $275 I believe, If you have the tools they are pretty easy to make and I found the jonny joints for $40 which is a good price.

11. 85mudblazin

and my big problem is that I dont have much room for the bars since I have dual exhaust that runs pretty close to the drive shaft, so just plan it out and you should be fine.

12. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I'm trying to track down a buddy. He said he can get the johnny joints for about $25 ea:D

13. dcell152

I found this set up in a nother thread how do you think it would work? It looks like it would be simple to fab.http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/bambar/:dunno:

Looks like it wouldn't intrfear with the exaust.

14. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Tim (Tim84K10) made a version of that on his truck. I believe he said it works good but you'd have to ask him to be sure

15. tRustyK5

It's better than nothing, but still a fundamentally poor design IMO.

Picture that set-up without the leaf springs, there is no triangulation without them. So, that design relies on the strength of the front half of the leaf spring to work. If you run modified spring clamps then all the triangulation and stress is on the main leaf.

The upper link looks short enough to describe a different arc of motion than the axle would normally have during cycling of the suspension too.

My two cents...

Rene

16. 85mudblazin

sorry for the hijack but would it be ok to use square tubing instead of round for the links and just go with a pretty thick wall?? It is kind of hard to get round tubing around here for a good price.

17. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

What about them with a slip, instead of a shackle? I had a pic, but cant find it. 4 Link solves this!