Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

traction bars

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ok91blazer, Jul 12, 2002.

1. ok91blazer

ok91blazer Registered Member

hi, i have a 4 in, sus. lift for my 91, and i was told that i should get soem traction bars, but dont they cut down on ground clearance kinda liek get hung up on alot of things, and does ORD make them, or how hard would it be to fabricate mine own, if i was to make my own, what do i need to look for and what type of metal tubing should i use, and id like to hear from other peoples pro's and con's against and for them to help make my decision. I'm gonna run 35 12.50's under it if that makes a diff.

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Why do you need traction bars? If you dont have huge amounts of wheel hop on the back end, spend your money on the tires.

3. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Hello fellow Okie!! I just finished a 4" lift on my '86 K5, and no, you don't/won't need any traction bars. If you were pushing a 500-600 hp K5 dragster maybe. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Hollar if you need some help, I'm in OKC.
    John

4. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

im runnin about 1200 blown nitrous ponies and a 12" lift, and at times i do hafta have traction bars when racing, but like everyone else said, there is no way in hell u should need em for ur setup. good luck

NITRO

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

If you get into some really flexy springs like the F150 ones and set up for a lot of travel, you could benifit from a single ladder bar which runs to a shackle mounted accross from the front spring hanger. It helps eliminate axle wrap and doesn't inhibit flex. Take a search through some posts, there was a pic of one here just this week.

6. ok91blazer

ok91blazer Registered Member

its always nice to okie boys on here, yea, after i get all my stuff together were gonna have to hit up soem trails.

7. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

Michael,

Is this what you are talking about?

James

8. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I've seen those but haven't heard any reviews on them yet. I can't find the thread but I found the image in my computers cache so here it is. [​IMG]

9. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

But you have my curiosity, how do you like it? Drawbacks?

10. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

They were on the truck when I got it so I'm not really sure how I like it since I've only driven it one way. It feels like my axle is loading up when I try to "get on it" from a stop. I have 2.5" blocks so I'm sure that has a lot to do with it. The only drawbacks I can see is the front shackle mount. There doesn't seem to be much give there. It will do this though. I don't know about how much travel they would cost on suspensions with LOTS of flex.

James

11. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

How is the bar attatched to the plate bolted at the front spring hanger... radius arm, ball pivot???
    [​IMG]

12. jc71355

jc71355 1/2 ton status

I don't know what the mount is called but here is a few pics.

This view is from the front. [​IMG]
    This view is from the back. [​IMG]

If you could figure out how to put a Joint like the front has on that yellow bar I think you could get more flex out of them.

James

13. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Ah, its a radius bushing. I think I'd stick with the shackle on the ladder bar setup for better droop because your fixed mounted to the axle leaving no place for axle wrap to sneak back in. In your case where you have rotational capabilities at the axle its a better option but I can see where it wouldn't fully combat the wrap up, but would inhibit it! I've seen a setup similar to yours where the bar has been repalced with a shock absorber... another interesting twist on the idea.