Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Traction device for 10 bolt??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85 Shortbox, Apr 25, 2002.

1. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

I am thinking of putting in some sort of L.S./posi/locker in my 10 bolt rear. Any thoughts?

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd save your money and put it into the D60 rear you're building. The 10 bolt rear can be a time bomb...especially once you add 35" and larger tires.

Rene

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

If you want to keep your 10 bolt, consider saving up a few bucks and get a full floater kit to beef it up a little. From what these other kind folks tell me, dont really go over 33's, and be easy on the gas.

I put an eaton posi on mine. Supposedly , the carbon friction disk is supposed to last the life of the vehicle!

There electronic locker looks cool too.

But for the cost of these, I'd rather throw in a 14 FF.

4. 85 Shortbox

85 Shortbox 1/2 ton status

uh-oh, I just put a set of 35x14-15 hawgs on it. I hope it will hold up for a while if I leave it open, I would really like posi though. I must say though she looks titties with only 4" susp. and no body lift with those 35's.

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

If you want to use the 10 bolt for a little while but want it locked without spending alot of money, weld the spider gears, you have a D60 to go in it anyway right ? A welder and a few minutes of your time is the best traction device I have ever found.

6. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Hey, I had a 10 bolt with Auburn for 5 years and wheeled it hard, and it never gave me any problems! I also run a front 10 bolt w/ ARB locker and have never had ANY problems! And mudmover (Jon) has had a rear 10 bolt with an EZ Locker for years with 35x14.50 Thornbirds and has never had any problems - and he wheels it hard! I can't guarantee you that you also will have no problems, but I wouldn't worry about it so much that you are afraid to drive the thing...there are lots of 10 bolts out there doing just fine. Sure, if you plan on upgrading to a heavier duty axle in the near future, don't spend big bucks on the 10 bolt, that wouldn't be smart. Beware of the "10 bolt syndrome" on this and other boards - if you listened to everyone and their 10 bolt stories, there would be millions of GM trucks just sitting in their driveways too afraid to even drive down the street! ha,ha /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

1987 K5, 6" Superlift front, ORD Shackle flip + 2.5" Superlift rear, 35" BFG Muds, 16.5x9.75 Eagle 589s, 14bff w/ Detroit, Dana 60 w/ARB, 4.56 gears, crossover steering, Con-Ferr roof rack, 8 pt full roll cage with family cage

<hr></blockquote>

You had so much confidence in those 10 bolts you recently chucked em in favor of one ton stuff? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif/forums/images/icons/smile.gif Just messin with ya Keith.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I know 10 bolts don't spontaneously explode in driveways as soon as 35's are bolted on. Most 10 bolts out there do have a ton of miles on em and the rears do tend to let go somewhat easily. If the entire diff is rebuilt with an aftermarket carrier and some decent axles I'm sure it will do quite well with 35's...but I don't trust high mile dead stock 10 bolts with 35's. JMHO...YMMV etc etc /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

You got me Rene! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I did have 5 good years of wheeling with just the 10 bolts in there, with no problems. I figured that since I got a smoking deal on the 14bff, I could not justify NOT swapping it in - that was a year and a half ago. My front 10 bolt, well, it too has never given me ANY problems, not even a u-joint failure...but I kinda fell into all of this "Dana 60 frenzy" and snapped it up when a friend of mine said he was selling his...and with my plans to go up to 38s soon, well, it was an almost mandatory swap! Even I don't think I could make a 10 bolt live with 38s, at least not on the trails I like to do! Maybe a street only rig that never sees four wheel drive, but not any worthy trail rig...

So yes, I am guilty of converting, but I can honestly say that the 10 bolts treated me great with my 35s for a long, long time! And I didn't have any fancy axles or anything, just the stock stuff. I did have the rear Auburn and then I did put in a front ARB when I did the 14b/Detroit swap, so yes, the carriers were changed out.

Now, if I have any death wobble problems, I am gonna be one pissed off guy who wants his trusty old 10 bolt back! ha,ha /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif