Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Traction in the snow

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OhioJimmy, Jul 26, 2000.

1. OhioJimmy

OhioJimmy Registered Member

I'm putting a plow on the front of my Jimmy this winter and want to know how to get the best traction in the snow without chains. I am putting on pretty agressive tires for winter but I want that extra "not gonna get stuck" feeling. any ideas? Thanks

If you say you haven't been stuck you're lying or was it you'll go blind, hmm

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

And just when I had forgotten all about the rotten, stinkin' winter!!!!!! Seriously though, check out www.chuckschevytruckpages.com. He's got a section devoted to snowplowing, and I think you can find a forum for the same thing on his page.......Actually, it's not a bad page all around for Chev info. Good Luck!

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I've lived and drove in the snow all my life and found the agressive tall narrower tires give the best traction.Wider is not better in the snow. 950x33x15, 750X16, or 265x16s work real good. If you are going to run around with a plow on the front get a steel belted 8 ply. I've plowed with many types of tires on a lot of different kinds of trucks. The worst tires I ever had was a set of 11.50X 32X 15. They were just too wide. Either had to chain up or put a bunch of weight in the back (or both) to make them work when the snow was deep.

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

I would also go for skinny tire they do alot better than wider tires.

5. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

so, what are some tips for just driving in the snow? i have some relatives in oregon, and we were screwing around in a field. i didn't get stuck, but my buddies were wondering if we would have to walk out. driving in snow (wheeling in snow) is definitely different than regular ol' wheelin. the treads pack up pretty quick.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Studded tires work well in the snow. Not good on solid ice I've heard. Also, I don't think it's legal to drive them on the street. If your driving on ice, get chains. And don't forget about the option of siping the tires.

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

7. Crutch

Crutch Registered Member

I'd figure, living in ohio, that you were used to the stuff. Anyway, I used to have a 79 Jeep setup for plowing in the White Mountains of AZ. I used BFG All Terrains in the 30x9.50R with liberal siping and studs. I had my "daily" tires in the garage and used a floor jack to swap out the tires. Unfortunately, if you want the ultimate traction situation, you'll need to go with chains or studs.

Crutch

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Don't forget differential action. Maybe dual ARB lockers. Only reason I say ARB (and I would NEVER pay their prices) is you don't necessarily want the idiosyncracies that a regular locker (Detroit et al) gives you in the snow. Unless of course you like doing donuts in traffic........

Couple of ARB's and chains..........go anywhere.

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

9. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

mud tires are good in snow because they clean themselves easily, but dont even think about driving on ice with them, not enough tread on the ice. a nice set of all terains and some extra weight in the rear should be all you need, i drive in 3' of snow often with open differrentials and 31,10.5 bfg at and have no problems

10. OhioJimmy

OhioJimmy Registered Member

Thanks guys, I have drivenn in the snow all my life without any problems but this is my first plow, The getting aroud is not a problem I just wanted the best setup and you guys really helped me make the correct choices.

If you say you haven't been stuck you're lying or was it you'll go blind, hmm

11. Canuck

Canuck 1/2 ton status

Good to hear, I just put the same one's on mine!!

Canuck

Go Wide or Stay @ Home

12. 73Jimmy

73Jimmy Registered Member

If you can, 235R16 recaps with flex rubber, walnut shell mix, and studs, mounted up
    on an extra set of wheels. Pure snow/ice traction. If they are on wheels, you can swap them
    off at the first sign of Spring..makes them last longer.

Carry a set of heavy mud chains to fit and you are ready for just about anything.

13. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

Hate to say this but the best 4x I've driven in the snow was an '81 CJ. Narrow tires.

14. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The best snow vehicle (next to a Ski-Doo), hands down, no questions about it, is a 4 wheel drive Suburban. Wheel base and weight are your friends on a slippery road.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

15. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I'm talking more about unplowed/unpaved roads. I grew up in PA, we have lots of 'em. Weight can kill you in the snow too. Getting stuck in the deeper/crusty stuff is easier when your heavy. Don't get me wrong, my K5 does good in the snow, but my CJ seemed better.
    Or maybe I'm too freakin' old to beat my K5 like I did my CJ. Back in the day I didn't care if I got stuck or broke something.