Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

? traction lift ?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by JDBlazer454, Jun 4, 2002.

1. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

I have a 2" traction lift installed (front and rear) in my 1975 K5 Blazer w/ 1 ton axles. What I would like to know is how legal is this or does anyone have a link for some extra information about this lift?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated!!

2. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Sorry, no answers from me, just another question: What exactly is a traction lift?

3. JDBlazer454

It sits between the axle perch and the spring like a lift block but it extends back and has a shackle at the other end that you put a pin through over the spring. From what I know of it and have seen it do it is supposed to prevent axle wrap and also add a little extra lift. I wish I had a good picture of it to show you.

4. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

i have seen these on truck's in mag's but never on the front..
    don't think they where ment for the front..??
    seem's like it is just like putting block's in the front, and we all know that is a no no..
    just my thought's..

dave

5. JDBlazer454

I had figured it was a no no but it was how I got the truck and anyhow I am taking it out to get it legal height then the truck is sold and will be someone elses worry. Thanks for your input.

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Jeff, those actually WERE intended for the front, and were very popular a few years back. Are you sellling your Blazer?

7. JDBlazer454

I wasn't sure about how legal or safe they were but I did email Trailmaster and this is what they emailed back to me "> WE HAVE DISCONTINUED THE PRODUCTION OF THAT A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO .SAFETY
    > WAS NEVER AN ISSUE AS LONG AS THEY ARE INSTALLED PROPERLY .BUT LEGALITY OF
    > INSTALL WOULD BE SOMETHING THAT YOU WOULD HAVE TO CHECK WITH YOUR LOCAL
    > STATE HOPEFULLY THIS GIVES YOU WHAT YOU UNEED THANK YOU " .......pretty vague I thought lol. My blazer is the only one I have ever seen with it.

Yea truck was for sale, found out last night that its a done deal and its sold. But on a happy note I got one real nice #'s matching 70 Camaro in trade for it. I still got a Suburban that the wife wants to lift so who knows what the future holds /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. rich

rich 1/2 ton status

I'm glad you guys brought this up. A friend just picked up a '79 K5 with this type of lift in the rear, and we had never seen it before.

BlazzinOR (or anyone else) - do you have any experience with this type of lift? (We don't have an engine in that Blazer yet, so we haven't gotten to test it out.)

Looks to me like it is better than blocks in that it helps control the spring-wrap caused by the thicker spring pack, but it also looks to me like it would not flex as well since you are adding extra half-leaves to the pack.

Oh yeah, if anyone wants a pic of this, so that you can see what we're talking about, I'll see if I can snap one tonite.

Later!

9. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

i stand corrected again.....
    never would have thought that those would be safe on the front.

dave