Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

traction lift

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5Redneck33, Jan 29, 2003.

1. K5Redneck33

K5Redneck33 Registered Member

i was wandern' how a traction lift works? i saw it on a '79 chevy in off-road magazine, i think it was like febuary 2002 issue. yea i was checkin through my collection.. and it said, 8inch susp, 3 ich body, and 2 INCH TRACTION LIFT. does anybody know anything about traction lifts? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

What it is...and let me try and explain this as well as I can...is a straight bar (think of it as, in this case, a 2" flat leaf spring). This flat, thick leaf then mounts in between the spring pack and spring perch. Attached to the very end of it (towards the front of the vehicle) is a bar, linking it to the spring. This link to the spring is not solid - obviously - it is on a pivot. When the force of the engine trys to pivot the pinion upwards (axlewrap/springwrap/wheel-hop), the traction lift bar will make contact with the spring, preventing too much wrap.
    Does that make sense to you now? Hope so. If not, just keep the questions coming.

3. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Ever seen traction bars for drag strip.Traction lift puts the bar between axle and springs for a little lift.They hurt clearance if U play on rocks,but work ok . /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. K5Redneck33

K5Redneck33 Registered Member

Oh ok, i understand for the most part. i looked at the picture of the truck and i see what it is. however, is this something thats worth making? I am getting a body lift to add to my 4 inch suspension. and i was wantin to go for 2 more inches. i have looked into shackles, and i was thinking about add-a-leafs, thats when i saw the tractin lift. i thought it would be great cause i was allready wantin traction bars. do you have any advice on the best way to get that extra 2 inches of lift? i dont wanna do anythign to krazy cause its my everday driver.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Okay, first things first...out back do you have 4" lift springs, or blocks? Blocks and a traction lift would be a bad idea. I would suggest that if you have blocks now and stock springs, to simply step up to a 6" lift rear spring. That would help alleviate axlewrap too. If you already have lift springs...yeah, you could go with a traction lift, or some small blocks /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif, or to just get 1" - the ORD zero rate. Let us know what you've got for a spring setup out back. Meanwhile, I'll do some surfing for traction lifts. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

could you post the picture of the truck?

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well - here's a picture of A truck with a traction lift...if that's what you're asking for. Or, do you want to see a pic of the truck he's talking about? (Yes, sorry, I know it's a show truck - only decent pic I could find /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)
    [​IMG]