Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Tractor pull tips

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MNorby, Jul 25, 2003.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'm gonna be running the tractor pull tomarrow night with my truck and wondering if anyone has some tips? So far I have found some 33"s to run and built a space to go from my frame to rear axle to make it a solid suspension. Any other tips? Thanks.

2. Hustler

Hustler 1/2 ton status

Try to get all weight out of the back and get all the weight on the front. I have did pulls with my atv and know some that do tractor pulls now. They fill up the front tires with water or sand to add weight and add lead to the front bumper. As for as starting off the line, you want to go as fast as you can without spinning any tires. Hope this helps some. I am sure some other people can help more.

3. Sample

Sample 1/2 ton status

Make sure the mullett is pulled back into a pony tail and leave the can of meister brau back at the pits, don't want to spill it.

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Watch the guys before you and see what line they are takin.. See how far they are going.. Take the line that does the best.. Good luck.. It is a lot of fun.. And carry extra U-joints with you.. And replace them right after the pulls.. Even if they still look good..

5. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Just for future reference, it's called TRUCK pulling when you do it with a truck, and TRACTOR pulling when you do it with a tractor... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I also sincerely hope that you're not pulling with that shortbox. I love shortboxes (my K10 is one) but wheelbase is a necessity for pulling that a shortbox really lacks on. Even a longbox pickup is far from ideal.

7. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Add some weight to the front end, on the magnitude of about 400lbs. If you can find them, find foam inserts for your tires. Depending on track and type you may wish to air down. Some guys run water or soap in their tires for weight. This doesn't make sense to me because it inhibits throttle response.

Plan on cooking your clutch if it is your first time out. You won't be able to decide if slipping the clutch to maintain 5500rpm while cooking it and hauling ass or letting it out and bogging the motor is better until it is too late.. I hope you still have all your torque arms going to your transfer case and transmission.

Aluminum transfer cases, especially 208s, like to spiderweb after repeated pulls if you're pushing 500 stallions on a rough track. I've seen quite a few of them do this, especially on Powerbroke Furds.

I think RyanB on ORC still does sled pulls.

EDIT:

PS: Matt, haven't you beat the [I love Jeeps] out of your frame enough yet?

8. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I know it's a little late....but
    1. Hope not to break, but expect too especially if proper maintainence has not been done in a long time (u-joints, tightening ALL bolts, check motor and tranny mounts, etc.) You may not break, but it does put alot of stress on parts.

2. Do not air down. It gives you added traction to a point, but unless you have the power to use the extra traction (stock 350 won't) you are better off staying at street pressure, and less likey to bounce, which brings me to...

3. If you feel the truck hopping A.) work the steering wheel back and forth and B. start backing out of the throttle (don't just take your foot off). Staying in the throttle while bouncing will lead to the crowd yelling as you fling a u-joint or worse.

4. If you have a manual and the motor revs but the tires don't, STOP. I have seen flywheels PIERCE through the floor of several pickups after they were overheated and shattered by a slipping clutch.

5. Have fun. I know it sounds bad, but it can be fun. If it's your only source of transportation, then you have to worry a little more. If it's a spare rig and you don't mind expensive repairs, give it all you got. I do it and love it, but it's not my only rig, and I can fix it.

6. For a first timer, I would suggest giving the truck a good once over tightening everything down, pick 4 low, and the lowest gear you have and watch your RPM's so you don't blow the motor. Common sense, if something feels wrong, sounds wrong, etc. slow down and stop. You can always do it again. You learn alot each time you do it. If it feels you could use a higher gear, do it next time. Trying to shift with 45,000 Lbs behind you is not good. It can put alot of stress on parts, and is usually where people break (that or when hopping).

Check out the link in my sig for truck pull pics and info on our club.

9. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, here is the results.... I got 5th out of 6 /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. My biggestest prob was the th400 grabbed 2nd gear at 5000 rpm even though I had it locked in 1st. I installed a shift kit now /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Also what killed me was they said there was a 4800 and down lbs weight class and so I stripped everything off my truck I didn't need, including the hood, tailgate, toolbox, and was gonna take doors off if needed then get there and they decided to not split the group so here I am only weighing 4700lbs afainst crew cabs and duramaxs (There were only Chevys running too /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). I feel good though I beet the high zuit truck-pulling built stock truck there that had the 454 and all the weights out front and such.... mostly because I know the importance of a D60 and he put his D44 through the wrath of a 5000rpm clutch drop of his built 454 /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. So next time I know better what to do and thanks for all the help.

10. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Some guys run water or soap in their tires for weight. This doesn't make sense to me because it inhibits throttle response.

[/ QUOTE ]

i understand the post is dead, sorry to all of you who that upsets /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

but why would the water inhibit throttle response...if you think it it doesnt really have to spin as soon as the tire spins, i gets time to catch up. just a thought /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

11. Toledo

Toledo 1/2 ton status

No mater how you think about it there is no way that water can keep up with the spin of a high HP big block. Any added weight that isnt properly applied is lost time.

12. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Go get a bucket. Twist it real fast with the handle. Go fill a bucket with water. Now twist it real fast.