Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trade a 93 K5 for a 82 K5 pros/Cons HELP!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by slickster, Feb 6, 2006.

1. slickster

slickster Registered Member

Hello people of K5. First thanks in advance for reading my HELP wanted. I have a 1993 Chevy Blazer that I'm debating on trading for a 1982 built K5. I know my IFS won't compare to that of the 82 in climbing and serious conditions and the usual things as asthetics ( spell? ) Mine looks far nicer or more urban that the 82 I'm looking at. The 82 is fuel injected but it's a built 401 motor in it so the mileage might not be so great although the 82 is a 4 speed standard. I'm just looking for you the owners kind of knowlegde in what to look for in driving and debating on this 82. For instance my 85 CJ was locked front and rear but my weak link with 36's was the dana 30 axle and AMC 20 rear axle tubes. I plan on trading a daily driver for this 82 so any information on daily driving, mileage, comfort, noise level, axles, or daily driving wear and tear would be much appreciated. Are their certain years with better equipment, axles? Is in 82 both front and rear dana 44? Again thanks and if anyone knows what a good condition 93 K5 with 160k would go for its much appreciated. Mines lifted, 3", nice rock rails, clean paint not flawless but looks great 10' feet away, 33" MTRs, Centerline HEllcats, nice stero, and runs great. I hate the IFS front end though. Have a good one, Thanks and maybe I'll see you cats on the trails soon, Slick

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Can't really tell you anything without knowing more on the entire truck. You claim it's "built", but that could mean anything.

Who built the motor? Receipts?
    What axles?
    Tires, rims?

As for an 82, it SHOULD have either a 12 or 10 bolt rear and a 10 bolt front. Not built by any means, but not totally junk either.

Get some more specifics on the truck, then we can help you better.

It will come down to your preference though.

3. slickster

This Blazer was Custom Built from the ground up. It has 410 cubic inch small block Chevy Holley fuel injected engine with headers and dual 2.5” exhaust.
    The entire drive train including engine and suspension has less than 8k miles since being entirely rebuilt/replaced. It just passed emissions and has a clear title.
    • 4 Inch ProComp Suspension Lift, 4 New Springs w/ProComp Shocks
    • 3 Inch Body Lift
    • Engine Has Pete Jackson Gear Drive, Edelbrock Performer RPM Cam & Intake Combo, Ported & Polished .202 Heads, H.V. Oil Pump, All Chrome Covers & Oil Pan, Holley Fuel Injection, MSD Super HEI Ignition w/Accel Super Coil, Fresh Air Intake & MORE!!
    • Transmission is a SM465 4-Speed Standard, Fully Rebuilt!
    • NP205 Transfer Case, Fully Rebuilt! Both New Drive Shafts
    • Setup for Dual Batteries w/ Isolator
    • New Brakes/Rotors/Bearings
    • Stainless Steel Brake Lines
    • Hydro Boost Power Brakes-Huge Radiator & Gas Tank
    • 12 Bolt Rear End
    • 33 X 12.50 X 15 Mud Tires with 2 Mounted Spares
    • Black 8 X 15 Rock Crawler Wheels
    • Warn Locking Hubs
    • Front Differential has Solid Spool, Rear is Open
    • Custom Built Bumpers, Front and Rear w/6 position Multi-Mount for the attachment of a Winch
    • Custom Built Step Rails
    • Custom Built Roof rack with 4 Lights, 2 Spares, 2 Gas Can Holders

4. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

IMO, take out the body lift and get a rear locker and it will be sweet. BUT, not to bash the 12 bolt axle but if you want to go bigger and more hardcore wheeling you will need something bigger. Aswell what is your front axle? As for a daily driver, what gears are in the axles?

5. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

well, alot of guys will tell you the all spring suspension lift isn't the best route (tho some do it - like myself, tho i can't give you an opinion b/c my truck is still in the building stage. i did all spring for sake of convenience). most guys will also tell you that procomps are pretty stiff, tho some do it, like myself.... you say it will be your daily driver and you show that you live in new england - what kind of traffic are you in? with that 4spd tranny you'll be doing alot of shifting and have a rather cramped left leg if you're in stop and go (6:1 first gear! in most situations great, but stop and go will be painful). if you buy it, you should lose the body lift - you do not need it especially with 4" lift and only 33s under it. i hate step rails, so i would consider that a negative attribute rather than a positive one. if you need to have help stepping up into it - lose the body lift and then tie a rope around the leg of your front seats and use it as a stirrup when you need it. the 1/2 ton gear you listed will work ok with that set-up, tho anything more rigorous on the truck and you'll want to be moving up to at least 3/4 ton. what's the axle gear ratio? how much are they asking? sounds pretty decent, just lose the penis-enhancing parts, like the step rails and body lift.

6. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

sorry - didn't mean to repeat questions. it happened that we were posting at the same time.

7. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Ah come on you get used to it!!..its like second nature now...granted after three plus years my left leg is larger than the right leg..:haha:

8. JpEater

JpEater 1/2 ton status

One thing to think about, a 410 if it is a SB won't stay real cool on a hot summer day. There are a lot of variables that will affect the running temp. but a 400 has thin enough cyl. walls and going to 410 won't make it any better. All assuming it is a SB. One major bright side is it would be much easier truck for the shade tree mechanic to work on. If it were me I would probably do it but, I don't care about gas milage. Most of the sweetest rides get crappy gas milage anyways.

9. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

x2.

10. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

Maybe you should mash the gas pedal a lot harder and a lot more often, in order to give the right leg a balanced workout.

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My opinion on the comparison of the creature comforts is that the later truck far surpasses the earlier stuff. IFS, body and frame design, power everything, so on and so on, means a more comfortable ride every time you drive.

If you can handle the harsher, noisier ride, and less user friendly interior for the potential of better off-road capabilities, then go for it. But strictly from a comfort level, the earlier trucks don't compare.

12. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

sounds like a great truck to build off of, get some cucv axles and you are set for a while. the only guy i know with pro comp springs likes them, but they are 8 years old and are very broken in with new teflon thingys. but the truck has spent half of its life on jackstands. and lose the body lift, you raise your center of gravity without ground clearance and you shouldnt have any clearance issues and your shifters are low as hell...

13. slickster

To the people of K5- Thanks so much for the information and things to consider thus far; I never considered the 410 small blocks running hot issue. Great point. I dont know a ton about motors but is this something I could use as a daily driver during the summer? Thats my biggest worry now being that I would trade my daily driver for this one. Oh I need to update but I'm a resident of Englewood Colorado now and thats where the Blazer is I'm debating on. Traffic isn't bad I live right near my office but I do love to take my blazer into the mountains for fly fishing, camping and hopefully to tow a camper soon. Any comments on how you think the 410 built 82 would do towing a trailer or something into the mountains? Also I could use a good mechanic that will work with me in small maintainence on mine or this new one. I hate paying 70.00 an hour at MIdas when I don't know the people. AGain thanks and keep it coming I'm learning a great deal, Slick

14. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

buy it become a member here start wrenching ans start learning you will be smart after awhile sounds like the k5 suits you better anyways lifestyle wise . I lived in LAramie WY for a few months and in that environment i would rather have my trail rig than my dakota dd but it suits my lifestyle better i would say trade it and never look back and if it is really a bigger radiator it should help just make sure you got a good temp gauge

15. WRENCH-HEAD

WRENCH-HEAD 1/2 ton status

I live in the Denver area and would be glad to help you with anything I can. I usually am working on friends cars or mine on the weekends/evenings anyways. Just PM me if you want some contact info.

16. slickster

Thanks again everyone; Now I'm learning the 82 has no defrost, heater or air conditioner. If its just a fan motor as the owner claims is this a significant repair and expensive? What about getting A/C in this bad boy also?