Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trade my K5 for a GTO?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevBlazin, May 9, 2002.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I saw a sweet 68 GTO for sale, totally mint. The guy may consider trades for a NICE larger SUV. My blazer fits the nice category, but would I make a big mistake. I think I would be being impulsive. Convince me to stop thinking about this!

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

are you kidding...passing up a GTO...how good of shape is the goat in...my uncle has a super clean goat..has the 6 pac carb and everything..ill see if i cant round up some pics of it
    if the car is in good shape i would def consider the trade

3. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

In this case....
    blazers are rebuildable!
    GTO's are very difficult to find these days! Is the body mint? If so i'd be all over it...build another blazer some other time.
    Think of it as an investment...no doubt what you buy if for you can more than likely sell if for more later down the road.

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I could never give up my Jimmy. She's my baby!

5. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I could be baised but I would say get the GTO. I am a pontiac freak, so I would in a heartbeat. Like said above its easy to replace a k5, but hard to get a old A-body in good shape. My 70 GTO is getting a full resto, and it costs alot of money. I would have rather traded my Jimmy or Burb for the car in mint, because when I am all said and done, I will probably have 25K into it.

Dan

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

THATS IT, YOU ARE ALL BANNED FROM CK5 FOR EVEN THINKING ABOUT GETTING RID OF THE K5 (for a car nonetheless!!)

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

well is it a REAL gto or just a mach up. Lots of fakes are out there and it doens't take much to make a Lemans a GTO. Another thing is it all numbers matching... motor, tranny, rear, etc. If one piece is out of place the all orginal aspect of it is gone. I assume it has a 400 in it since it is a gto. Contact the pontiac historical society or go to their web page and make sure you identify that it is real before you get your hopes up.

Also if the Blazer is your only ride... you may want to think about it. But I do love Ponchos... so if it is legit, then go for it and get a cheapy daily driver

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

With out a second thought if it was not a clone and I had a "nice" K5 I would have that in my drive way, but I am a Poncho freak as well so that is just me.

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

In two seconds I would trade my blazer for a nice GTO. The blazer would be LOOOOONG gone and I love my blazer. If the goat is nice, TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Dan,

How dare you mention the word Pontiac and Heartbeat in the same phrase! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Just kidding. I too am a Pontiac nut. I havent touched a Pontiac in a few years so I am out of the loop at the moment. Still dreaming about finding a 70 GTO and building a 500 cube Wensler Headed, Sheemetal Intake, Indian Adventures Block and all the other goodies Pontiac to play around with. If I ever make it to AZ, I want to check out that bird of yours.

And Yes, id trade the K5 for a nice GTO any day! These things are money pits!

Neil

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I would only trade for a '67. Red. Convertible. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif Wasn't '68 the first year of the Shamu body style? /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

For a daily driver NO. For a second toy, YES. Lots of K5's around but not many nice Goats, if it is a real one and not a clone. Also depends on what you have into your K5...........my K5 has more money in it than most Goat's are worth.

13. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

thats my prob, it would be my summer daily driver. It's a #'s matching 400/ 400 and 10 bolt rear, only thing not original is the color and rims/tires. RIght now I have about 20k into my blazer and have worked very hard on it. My dad who helped with the restoration, labor wise and financially, is totally against it. Guess I'll have to find my GTO someother time. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I had to think about for a minute because I love GTOs. But Nope. I would never trade my K5 for one. I have just too much fun in my K5 to trade for something I could only drive on the street once in a while and worry about someone bashing into it.

15. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

that said..... where is this jewel?

16. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Well, dont come out too soon because its without motor, tranny, and has a junkyard rear end in it. Its getting a new motor, tranny just got done, need a convertor, have to build the 9" and probably 4-link it. Oh yea, it will be viper yellow soon as well.

Dan

17. Philly87

Philly87 1/2 ton status

Hey Dave,

Your profile say's you wouldn't trade your Blazer for anything but another Blazer!?

18. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I think all you need to do is READ YOUR OWN PROFILE!!! You say that you would never trade your Blazer... except for another Blazer... MAYBE! And don't get me wrong, my first car was a 79 Firebird... that car was great - until I wrapped it around a tree being a dumb@ss 17 yr old! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif I still have the Olds 403 in the garage! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Keep the K5...

-Dan

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Personally I don't care for the 68-69's body as much as the 65-67 and the 70-72's. That said.....IF it was Numbers matching, rust free, Correct and not screwed up original Preferably a Rag top.........Uhhhhhh Blazers are MUCH easier to replace than a GTO. A GTO in good shape is only going to appreciate in value and you will always be able to get your money out unless you spend a lot of Cash on a Restoration. Then you would have to sit on it for a while.

One thing that already concerns me as to if this is a cloan or not is you say it has a 10 bolt. MOST GTO's got Safety Track 12 bolt Rear axles (Pontiac Posi). The 10 bolts tended to be open in Tempests. Well at least in the 70's it is that way. The 68-69 is pretty darn close to the 70's Frame and parts wise. My 70 LeMans Convertible has a 12 bolt Safety with a 350.

20. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

TAKE THE GTO!!!!!!

i doubt he would trade for a blazer, but if he is dumb enough go for it. blazers come easy and there fun to rebuild, mint gtos are rare