Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trade stock sb350 for tune-port setup?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by roostr3269, Sep 23, 2002.

1. roostr3269

roostr3269 1/2 ton status

I just had a friend stop by and asked if i would trade my 350 for a tune-port setup from a 86? camaro (305-will it fit a 350?). The motor is the stock one that came out of the Jimmy when i bought it. It ran good when i pulled it, and he said the TP setup comes with everything, Whaddya guys think? Thanx in advance.

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

if it is a spare motor i would say sure.

you will need a new chip to deal with the added fuel needs of a 350 (i assume u put one back in after the one trading to your buddy was pulled)

If it is '86 u might have to redrill some of the intake holes. just "hone" them out a bit. nothing major if you can swap a TPI on...

3. florida4x4

florida4x4 1/2 ton status

If it is an 86 then it uses the MAF sensor which is not really a good idea off road. You will want to convert it to MAP and change the CPU to a '7730. Not a small task but there are lots of people who have done it. Another benefit of of the 7730 is you can run the code and memcal for the 91 trans-am 350 gta which is considered the best for high performance engines and remove the cold start injector which is a PITA for some.

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~davis/z28/ecm_swap_730/

http://www.f-body.org/oldfaq/html/faq/ch5.html#ch5-2

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 305 TPI came with 19 lb/hour injectors. The 350 TPI came with 22 lb/hour injectors. If you're planning to run a bigger cam and/or spend much time in the upper RPM band, you'll need to upgrade the injectors. Other than that, they're the same setup. Since it's a MAF system, be SURE to get the MAF sensor to go with the setup. That little sucker costs around $400! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

sounds cheaper to get the ford MAF sensor and adapter
    ford ones dont die as often

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Never heard of that trick! Do you have a link to more info on that mod?