Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Traded a K5 for a K30 tonight

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Apr 11, 2007.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

It's 3:03 a.m. and I just came home with another K30.

I traded the '83 K5 Blazer as a running driving vehicle for an '82 K30 Diesel truck non running.

The K30 needs a little wiring fix by the starter, passenger side exhaust, and a tranny (the TH400 is bad).

Most people would be like... "You traded a running 4x4 for one that doesn't start or drive??"

But hey, it has a Dana 60... enough said. Body is ok, needs paint but is straight, it's a Silverado with the power options, supposedly 65k miles on the motor, 4" lift, 33" tires with like 90% tread, hitch, and a Ramsey electric winch.

I was gonna sell the K5 for $1800 or $1500 or so... he wanted $2500 for the truck as is so I figured if a non running truck is worth $2500 then my running K5 is worth $2500. And he was happy with that. I'm sure I made his day too cause he got a running driving 4x4. And I'm happy with the drivetrain/running gear swap.

I had to go back and re-calculate what I was into the K5... which involves some trading of my '88 Firebird for another K5 too that I used parts from. So it boils down to this:

[- is money paid out and + is money received back]
    -100 Bought 1988 Pontiac Firebird
    Traded Firebird for Parts 1982 K5 Blazer
    +300 sold 82 Blazer body with axles
    +50 sold 305 shortblock
    +40 sold Edelbrock Torker aluminum intake
    +75 sold Rally Wheels
    Balance of +$365 Profit [kept TH350/208 for other ’83 Blazer, 305 heads]
    -200 cash for 83 K5 Blazer and
    -400 value 3.73 ¾ ton axles in trade for Blazer (these axles ended up coming back to me as part of another deal when I bought a '79 K30 for $1400, but I'm basing that they were worth $400... so basically $600 total)
    +350 sold 700R4 tranny
    -200 350 motor value transferred from ’81 Chevy truck I had
    Used that 350 motor along with TH350/208 from '82 K5 to get the 83 running
    +12 sold/scrapped Two catalytic converters
    -200 Misc fluids/Fuel for trade (drive to drop off K5 and get K30)
    TRADE for 1982 Chevy K30 Diesel

-273 Total Cash Invested to this point

I guess I couldn't go wrong with the trade.

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

you never cease to amaze me in what you find/swap for. Good job

3. mountainexplorer

Oh, and I forgot the interesting part...

It's a 6.2 Diesel truck so I figured it would be 4.10s, or more likely 3.73's.

I get there and look at the tag and it sayd 4.56.

Ok, so this makes the 2nd Civilian 6.2 Diesel K30 truck I've owned that came factory with 4.56 gears. I thought the 1st one was a rare one... but now two?

Says right on the sticker too "HC4 Rear axle 4.56 ratio" and "G80 Locking Differential" so it's a Gov Loc rear too.

I also swung a deal a little earlier in the day for another Dana 60 dually version with 4.56's. So right now I've reached the top number so far from 20 to 22 Dana 60's- Two in one day!. But it'll go back to 21 real quick cause I have to sell one of my 4.10 ones to be able to pay for the 4.56 one I have.

4. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You are my hero:D . Have you thought about moving to NC? I could use someone that can find deals over here.

5. mountainexplorer

Its almost funny. I see Dana 60's everywhere now. I know of two Dana 60 trucks within an 8 block radius of my house, and I see almost one a day or more in K30's driving around. Maybe Spokane has a high population of them for some reason.

This truck I found on Craigslist. I saw it and it was just listed as a Chevy 4x4. The winch seemed interesting, but then I looked at the picture.

I just sat there and stared at it for a while for a few moments until I said to myself, I think thats a 1-ton. It didn't show very large or clear pictures but it just looked like a 60 under it. So after getting him to send a few more pics I verified it was a K30, and thats when I began pursuing it.

6. GotLabs

You make it sound so easy finding one.

7. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Nice score !!!!
    :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

So what does obsessive compulsive disorder and collecting D60's for no apparent reason have to do with tech? This should be in chit chat.

9. GotLabs

It's tech because he is teaching us how to score a d60. And he mentioned dana 60, which everyone knows is technical and not chit chat.:D

10. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i am very aware of your status here on ck5, but do you currently own 21 d60's? or have owned? sweet deal for you homers. d60s here are very hard to find.

11. mountainexplorer

I guess I currently own 22 Dana 60 fronts as of now... and I'm not saying that to try and brag or anything or make anyone jealous cause I don't mean to be that sort of person.

I just see so many people in life who ARE addicted to stuff, and by stuff I mean bad stuff (be it drugs, alcohol, gambling, etc...) and figured a while back if people can be that way about stuff like that (which ALOT of people in society and all over the world are) then I could be the same way about something a little more rare and not considered "bad" or harmful.

But I also have a habit, be it bad or good, of collecting and keeping too many trucks, giving homes and a use for just about every Dana 60.

I guess I could have put this in the lounge... I usually post truck related stories in the garage and non-truck stuff in the lounge but I guess this was more chit chat.

12. Ten_Bucks

Ten_Bucks 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Post pics of the new K30.

Scott

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do you ever sell the D60's? Curious what the idea is behind keeping them instead of selling them for some profit?

I remember when I picked up the D60/14FF out of a 1 ton, I advertised in the buy and sell (free ad) and sold them for $900 that same weekend. That's supposedly all the guy had, but it was enough for me. I'd think a SRW D60 is worth that alone, just curious why you don't sell some of them?

I'm up in the air whether this stuff is going to appreciate, or stay stable and then decline as fewer people need/want it. Eventually parts will be insanely expensive to keep them running, but that means demand won't be as big as it is now.

14. smalltruckbigcid

smalltruckbigcid 1/2 ton status

My .02cents here is that a non dues paying USER talking smack to a MEMBER is not cool. If you want to bitch pay the fee:wink1:
    George

15. mountainexplorer

Actually I can't talk either cause my membership expired and I've been to the point to where my extra money has been diminishing.

Anyways, here's the K5...

When I first brought it home-
    [​IMG]

and when i got mud on it
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here's the truck:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the winch
    [​IMG]

The tires
    [​IMG]

16. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

dude i have so got to hang out at your house sometime. that cc is extra cool and that stepside, and the 2 k5's and the red truck and the blue one and the white one and the blue cc.
    i am addicted to rc parts and especially truck tires, not near as expensive, but at any given time i have six or seven sets. for one truck.

back on topic, that truck is really straight and clean, is that typical for your area, or are they usually buckets by when 20 years rolls around?

17. 79ON40s

79ON40s Registered Member

man i bet your neigbors love you:D . nice score on the deal, would you be interested in trading a d60 for a slightly used 30 yr old 10b?:D

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Hmmmm...... :thinking:

Sell 21 D60 axles @ $1000 ea = $21,000
    Pay for CK5 Membership @ $25

Resulting cash position = $20,975. :D

How many people can MAKE money with their addictions?

19. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Congrats man. 22 is quite a collection.:pimp: I agree there's a lot worse things in this world to be addicted to. I commend you for your D60 addiction. :waytogo: BTW, that newbie has no idea what he's talking about. I'm no long timer, but this is definitely a Garage and NOT Lounge topic. :rolleyes:

20. mountainexplorer

obijuan, up here they vary from some nice and clean rust free truck to ones that are totally rusted out, and everything in between. Just all depends...

79ON40s, my neighbors are pretty patient with me and I appreciate them for that. I don't like 10-bolts though, I tend to do this with 10 bolts:
    [​IMG]

I'm actually selling one Dana 60 soon I hope for $1000. I basically got a 4.56 dually 60 front and 70 rear for $900, and in turn am selling one of my 4.10 fronts with Dually outers on it for $1000... I did that to kind of trade off from 4.10s to 4.56s. So 21 will be my number by next week, but 22 is now my peak. I know that someone somewhere has more 60's than me, but I figure I'll keep collecting and maybe some day make a record of some sort... in the future when no one cares.