Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trading a 2000 for a 81.....crazy?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jrogers, Jul 1, 2002.

1. jrogers

jrogers Registered Member

alright, i am one month out of high school and 2 months from starting college. i own a 2000 2wd s10 and i hate my truck with a passion. unhappy with its stance when i bought it three years ago, i began to lift it. it now sits 8" lifted and barely fitting 31" tires. it is tearing up ball joints and giving me new clunks and squeaks every day that i drive it.

i have long wanted to build up a truck that i could be proud of, a 4x4 with a solid axle, none of this ifs crap. it just so happens that my friends neighbor has a 1981 k-5 that he wants to sell within a week or so. the blazer is white and has just a few small rust spots on the rockers and one between the passenger door and the removable top. none of which appear to be deep. this guy has owned the k5 for less than 2 years and when he bought it, the previous owner had just swaped in a crate 350...runs beatifully. he wants $3500 for it.

my question comes in in that im not sure how deep a whole im throwing myself into. am i crazy to get rid of my 2000, which i have little trust in, and purchase this 81 k5 in hopes to clean up the body, interior, and miscelaneous by september 3rd? if im not, does anyone have any advice for me? how do i tell if i should go ahead and do a frame-off job, or if i should keep it all together through the process?

thank you very much, i appologize for the length of my post

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

is the 2000 paid for? if yes and its a strait trade i would say do it if you like the 81 think about it you have a 2wd 2000 s10 you hate and dont trust and you can trade it for a 81 with a newer motor in it and is 4x4 if it was me id jump all over that deal /forums/images/icons/smile.gif just my .02

3. jrogers

jrogers Registered Member

the s10 is paid for and i would be selling the s10 for about 9-10,000 bucks...and picking up the k5 for 3,500. the surplus would be used to fix the blazer up.

sorry i wasnt clear on that

4. mudhog

id jump all over that /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Take the time to look very closely at the neighbors K5. Generally by the time any rust spots become visible on the outside of the truck there is much more that can't easily be seen. Open the tailgate and lift the rear of the carpet and examine the end of the bed for rot. Your nieghbor may not even be aware of how it really is. Lift the carpet by the doors too. Welding in new floors can be time consuming and overwhelming. Carpet in these truck is the enemy IMHO.

If it all looks solid I'd go for it. If it looks a little shaky you might get it for less but you'd be taking on a project of considerable size. I also would'nt set a date for the truck to be 'done' or 'perfect'. Unless you have an unlimited budget or unlimited time it isn't realistic. Look at the truck with an eye to driving something you can work on and improve without depriving yourself of basic transportation.

As for your S-10...I'd consider dropping it back down to stock height and then sell it. Chances are you'll have an easier time and get more money for it. Modified vehicles generally do not hold their value as well as stock...

Rene

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

dude sell teh s-10 and then buy the blazer...

DONT TRADE!!!

7. mudhog

like rene said look it over realy good and make sure it is in good shape but i do agree sell the s10 and find a real blazer not a baby blazer lol /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Okay, speaking from experience here. Buy an 87 or newer K5 with Fuel Injection. Do not mess with anything prior. You should be able to buy one just as cheap. Find a 89-91 and you will be much happier. Do as Rene said, check for rust. Dont buy a rust bucket like I did. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

I have spent major dollars fixing the body and rust, adding fuel injection, and stuff that I would have been much better off buying a good TBI injected rust free 91 to begin with.

To be honest, any K5 is cool, but I would go fuel injected. A fuel injection system is better than a carburator - offroad Bar None!!!

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Dont buy a rust bucket like I did./forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I did too...I'd much rather spend my time making cool mods than fixing rust.

Rene

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

They made less than 8,000 K5s in 1991. Good luck finding one. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

But, I agree, the 88-91s are the nicest.

11. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Diesels are fuel injected, get great fuel mileage and come back from the dead after drowning in large lakes.
    They last longer too.

12. Mingler

Mingler Registered Member

DITCH the S10.

Only good as a ramp!

13. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

or a boat anchor! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

14. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The 4x4 version of them is pretty good in the mud....if you know how to lay into the skinny pedal!!!