Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trading the K5 for a Minivan DD... Slight rant, too.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, May 20, 2002.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Well, with the recent stump event wrecking the wheel, I've decided to go nuts and buy my wife a minivan. I'll take her aged Grand Prix so she can stop complaining about the motor flopping around, and the K5 will get the parking treatment.

I spent all of saturday getting down to the mud-crusted balljoints, to find they were not worn, simply loose (like everything I haven't re-done since buying it from the mental PO). The wheels bearings, however, are cooked. I guess he forgot to "tighten" the spindle nut too. When I re-packed, preloaded, and torqued it to spec, the wheel only moves in jerky rotations. Of course, I had to repack and reuse the $hitty bearings because the bimbette at PepGirls argued with me that the bearing I had in my hand and was near shoving down her throat was NOT the one for my truck, because it didn't match the one she got off the shelf that the computer said was the right one. I don't even remember how many times I told her "This is the one that came off the truck!". I even looked at the monitor, she was getting the right part for the right truck, but this thing was about half the size of the correct bearing. I should've had her look up an '88 K10/20 bearing to see if it was the same listing. Hindsight is 20/20.

SO after having all my in-laws come out to see what I was doing several times (it was my stepdaughters birthday party; nice stepdad, huh? Outside working on his truck all day), I put everything back together and pulled out the bent rim to attempt straightening. I got very far and was very impressed with myself (photos on the way), until one blow with the hammer split the damn thing open. I stopped using the drift at some point for who-knows what reason...

So I'm still riding on a 33 spare on a Jeep mag rim that rubs the caliper every so often. All the dust/carnage from the rubbing is grinding the poop out of the rotor on the side, too.

I'm stuck at work tonight defraggin/repairing an exchange database, otherwise I'd take the train strait to the dealership and drive a new/used minivan home.

Basically, with all the work trying to restore/make-livable a house, massive projects at work, and attention time required for the kids, I have zero time left to recover from stuff like this in the K5. She's gonna have to sit it out so I can recover in small pieces, without needing to get in and drive her every morning... It's gonna be so sad. I won't be terrorizing other commuters with the remote start anymore ("that thing has a remote start!?")... no more wheeling in the train station parking lot when I get a ticket...

But on the bright side, maybe when I drive it out in the summer, the lifters will be quiet, the wheels will rotate...

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: Trading the K5 for a Minivan... Slight rant, too.

WHAT!?!?!?!

So you are keeping it or not? Not very clear.....

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Re: Trading the K5 for a Minivan... Slight rant, too.

Well, the current plan is to replace it as a daily driver and park it so I can work on it as I have time, so I won't have to rush anything back together to drive it again the next day. But I'm worried it may become neglected and the next time I go wheein', the drivers seat fall through from all the sitting-rust.
    So far, the plan is to keep it, keeping it fully tagged and insured, too.

We went the weekend using my wife's car and doing everything we normally do in the truck in her car, and it felt wrong. I got in the K5 this morning, and felt like I just stepped into a pair of old jeans already broken in for me. It would be really hard to completely give up my K5, especially thinking back to when I sold my first one, and how long it took to replace her with this one...

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Ratch,
    Don't get rid of the K5. Sure it sucks and I have been there. If you have to get another ride then do so but at least put the K5 on the back burner for another day. If you get rid of it you will regret it down the road. I had to bite the bulit and buy another truck and do all the payments and such which all the money and stuff could go twords my Blazer, but I still have it and it will get finished someday just not as soon as I had wished.

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, I'm looking to keep her against as many odds as possible! I'm even starting to think of getting a minivan, parking the K5 registered and road-legal, and trading the wife's grand prix for a motorcycle to commute on...

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

What axles are under it ??? Might be an excuse to up grade.

7. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I feel your pain brother - I've had to mothball the Blazer (major body trouble) and move into the Bronco as a DD. If you contact the Motor Vehicle department, you should be able to "suspend" the registration on it for repairs. I did this with the wife's Heep, and only paid a $4 administrative fee to keep it registered for a year and pay no penalties after the tags lapsed. They also let me drop the insurance temporarily without penalty.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm thinking leave it fully street papered so I can take it out any time I want. The insurance is pretty cheap on it with my current license (theres a bit of a story behind that, too...) and multi car discount. My nieghborhood's too uptight about unregistered vehicle's too. Whenever we go away for the weekend, it's usually too spontaneous to have time to go get the truck papered...

Zp, I'm not in the (budget) market for new axles yet... I'm thinking new floor and sheetmetal first... I got me a welder and an old deck lid...

9. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Don't get rid of it. As long as it doesn't cause problems with the other half, keep it and fix it when time/money allows. Mine has a bad engine (barely idles and it has EFI) and a tranny going, so it is undrivable and just sitting right now. Every once in a while it causes problems, but my wife acknowledges that it has potential and I can't sell it for much. Other problem is my wife's car is getting old and my BII has over 200,000 miles on it, so I have to start something on it soon plus we can't afford another vehicle right now (car payment that is). So the friction point is always there (literally). Just don't get rid of it. I haven't because I know I'll regret it.

10. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=blue> You'll never regret the mini-van if you have kids !