Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trading vehicles from different states

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by indiana88, Nov 14, 2003.

1. indiana88

indiana88 1/2 ton status

Does anyone know what is involved with an even trade from two different states? I have a car in Indiana that I am thinking about trading for a truck in Kentucky. Is there any legal issues that need to be addressed? I told him I don't think anything has to be done other than getting a police check done on the VIN before you can get a title from another state. They are both paid off with clean titles.

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

What you'll prolly have to do is sell each other the vehicles for like a dollar or somethin. Years and years ago some buddies of mine wanted to just even trade and that's what they ran into. Good luck to ya.

Allan

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

When I bought my 2nd blazer from Ohio I had to have the police come out and check the VIN# and the title before I could go to the DMV to get plates. Had to have a state Transfer paper filled out by the police officer saying the VIN#'s matched and the vehicle was as described on the title.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

As long as you get a clear title and double check the VIN# matches between the truck and title before trading, you should be fine legally. It would not hurt to give/get a bill of sale stating the details of the trade and how much $ changed hands if your state charges sales tax.