Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

traffic ticket blues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bryanshadow, Aug 8, 2001.

1. Bryanshadow

Bryanshadow Registered Member

hey everyone. well as im sure you can tell my the subject, i got a ticket. and of course, i dont feel that i deserved it. im fallowing two cars going really slowly up a hill. its a 3 lane street so i move into the center lane. i see the car in front of me signal to turn, so to avoid an accident i floor it to get out of there blind spot. i couldnt see there face in the side mirrors, so i believe they couldnt see me. i come around the bend and move back into the far rigth lane so that i can make my turn and i pass a cop. i wasnt looking at my speedo while i was passing the cars since i was more afraid of getting hit then speeding! i had the car under control, but i guess that really doesnt matter now. i need some advice since im gonna contest the ticket. i know that i have a chance, but need some help from anyone who has ever faught a speeding ticket. thanx ahead, L8!

the shadow,
    Bryan

why do you only use your 4wd for parking lot maneuvers?

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

First of all, when he pulled you over what was your attitude? If you were an a$$ and made a scene then when you go to court you will definitely stick out in his mind. Just be cool and calm and don't give excuses when you get pulled over. Second, how could he tell you were speeding? Did he use a radar gun, follow you, or just saw you traveling faster than everyone else? Radar guns need to be used at a proper angle and without any other vehicles/objects obstructing its path. They must also be calibrated/checked every day (I think its daily, maybe one the the cops here can clarify that). If he just saw you going faster than everyone else then what's to say they weren't going slower than the speed limit while you were doing the limit? Basically, how did he tell you were going too fast?

3. Bryanshadow

i wasnt being an a$$ to the cop. ive been reading articles about handling being pulled over. i was calm and responsed with curtisy to the cop. the cop was rally cool with me and gave me a lot of advice. he used a radar gun and i dont know if the other cars were blocking me, but i was going the fastest. i know of how they have to be calbrated and i know of all of the document his department has to show me showing that the radar was up to snuff. if they cant show me this, then the case is dismiss do to a technicallity. but he gave me over a month before i have to appear in court. i dotn want to wait that long! i want a case while this stuff is still fresh in my mind. do yo think i should push for an earlier date? its now dset for the 13th of sept. too far away, L8!

the shadow,
    Bryan

4. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

I was stopped for going 85 on a 55 highway here, but I got out of it because the officer was in a raised median strip about 7ft above the road surface, and clocking into oncoming traffic on a bend. I was going 85, In court, I admitted that I was speeding, but said only 70mph, and I just asked that if he could be sure that it was me he was clocking, if he was above and could see the vehicles behind me. It saved me $150 immediately, and untold $$ on my insurance in the future.

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]

5. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry to hear that dude, I hope things work out for you.

And I hate to be a pain in the nutsack, but could you please post this sort of thing in the Non-4x4 issues section. This area is mainly for questions and tech advice for working on vehicles or thinking of mods.

I know we haven't been real good at doing this, but as more and more people join (which there have been a bunch lately) we need to keep things better organized. I hope I am not alone in feeling this way.

As I said before, I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I do feel sorry for you and hope things work out, but please remember in the FUTURE, to try and post items like this in the appropriate section.

As far as the original post, speeding is speeding, plain and simple (I know you don't want to hear that). You knew the consequences speeding ticket vs. accident and you chose the lessor of two evils. I would plead your case and hope the judge sees you were just trying to avoid an accident. Hopefully he will dismiss it or at least lower the fine (usually 50% of the original amount).

I've gotten tickets before and paid them because I WAS speeding and knew the consequences. Hope it all works out for you in the end.

Thank You.

Chris (A.K.A) Leadfoot

If you didn't build it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Wait for as long as you can. You don't want the incident to be fresh in his mind too. Remember, he probably cites a dozen or so people every day and you get cited maybe once a year (hopefully not more!) so you will have a better chance of remembering exactly what happened. And when you do appear in court the judge will ask if you would like to plead guilty for a reduced fine plus traffic school. My advice to that is to take it. You can now take traffic school online and the incident will be off your record for ever, or so they say.

7. Bryanshadow

ill have to think about taking the traffic school. my mom said that that is what she would do, or at least that is what she has done for the last 3 tickets shes gotten. but, i dont know. i guess ill take the class if i can get the fine reduced enough. thanx rampage.

Leadfoot: sorry about posting this in this board. i was just busy reading posts and i wanted to post myself. ill remember not to do it next time. L8!

the shadow,
    Bryan

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Been there, done that!

Search the internet, there are a billion things you can find out about the radar gun that can seriously wreck it's reading and credibility (motor of police vehicle running, heater/ac running, was it calibrated to work in that interference, etc?). Unfortunately, if your traffic courts are anything like mine, you are going to have to work your ass off getting evidence just to prove the cop wrong. I tried the "can you show the calibration records" line once, and the cop said, "no, they are on file at headquarters", and the judge piped in, "If they're in the counties possesion, I don't believe they're necessary", so don't put all your eggs in one basket like I did there. Write everything down so in a month (or likely 2 or 3 months) you can whip it out and have your facts dead on without scrambling for them. Try to remember if the cop said anything out of place to you and use it against him, maybe a dumb comment like (you guys are all the same, or you think in your big truck blah blah blah)...
    Attitude at the time of the incident is extremely important. No matter how much of a legally "equal" society we live in, the cop is human and gets pissed off and reacts too, and will screw you over big time for a bad attitude (ask me how I know).
    I've been pulled over at least 50 or 60 times since acquiring my license, and walked away with about 9 or 10 tickets total in NY, 4 or 5 that stuck. Haven't been pulled over in 2 years now, though (that whole parenting thing and maturity and all)... They actually all knew my car and talked about me in one precinct (the first time I got snagged in my camaro, the cop walked up without even seeing my license and said, "what happened to the yellow car??").
    BTW, whenever I used to get pulled over, I'd shut the car off, and hold the keys while holding both hands out the window where the approaching officer could see them. I attribute getting out of a lot of those tickets to that (cops used to compliment me on it).
    Good luck! I feel your pain! Just got 2 speeds finally coming off my record this year!

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Your ad here**

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

BTW, you are driving a larger vehicle (if the K5), which theoretically can cause another vehicles reading to appear to be yours.

Don't push it off. The cop will never forget the incident, because half the time he is in the car writing your ticket, he's writing notes on the time of day, traffic conditions, weather conditions, your attitude, anything you've said to him, everything. If you push it off and you do lose, you will hurt yourself more inthe long run. I had one ticket I pushed off for just under 2 years, and I lost it in court. They go by convistion date here, not infraction date, so that one stupid ticket would be gone already if I didn't try to play games with the system (I was trying to juggle it so it's so old the cop wouldn't show up).

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Your ad here**

10. Bryanshadow

ive checked the internet a billion times and read a billion things, theyve been really helpful, and so is everyones input. thanx. umm, i dont remember him saying anything to out of the ordinary but i did write everything down once i got home. ive got all of this stuff i need to do and keep pinned up on my wall already. im sending my public files request for stuff like the calibration records for the radar during the weekend so that it will arrive monday and of course im using registered mail so that someone at the precinct will have to sign for it. meaning that if the cop will try to say they never got anything, i would have legal proof against that, and get the case dismissed for some stupid techncality i cant remember. thanx, L8!

the shadow,
    Bryan

11. Bryanshadow

hey everyone, im heading out. ill be back on tonight. so if you have anymore stuff you would like to help me with, please PM me. thanx for all of your input. i hope to talk to everyone on a more K5 related subject tonight. L8!

the shadow,
    Bryan

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I heard somewhere you can do this too.....

Do everything by mail. Plead guilty or no contest. When you get the bill that says how much to pay....for example, if it says to pay $150, write a check for $155.....they will send you a check back for $5. Rip it up and throw it away, because the case closes when you cash the check, if you never cash it, it doesn't go on your record. I don't think insurance will find out about it. It will probably be on the police records though....i don't know if this works, but I'm going to try it.

90K5

See my truck at <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</a>

13. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm having trouble picturing this. You move to the center lane to go around some people. You are in the center lane and the person ahead of you (in the center lane) signals to turn and you floor it? Wouldn't you run into the back of him?
    I think I'm missunderstanding you....[​IMG]

I've got a mind like a . . . a . . . what's that thing called?

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

14. MaxCrack

MaxCrack 1/2 ton status

I don't know if 90K5's idea still works in CA. But I do know that for me, in San Jose, I went to court and pleaded guilty with an explanation. The judge reduced my fine by quite a bit. But when I tried the same thing in Oakhurst, I never even saw a judge, but my fine was less in person than by mail.
    And I have gone to traffic school every time so far, because my insurance is high enough without the ticket. Now that I have a good job I don't know if I would want to spend the money for class and waste a whole Saturday, I guess it depends on what the insurance will cost if I don't go.

Good things come in small packages. Good things come to those who wait. So, if you're waiting for a small package, that must *really* be sweet.

15. chevyboy24598

chevyboy24598 1/2 ton status

Why not buy some paint from the military, thats untrasable by radar.

Rust=Good
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.bodatious.com> bodatious </a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudboggingfun.homestead.com> my site </a>

16. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

90K5's trick does work. i've never posted it on the net, cause then it'll get abused, and we'll lose it. but the cat's outta the bag, so...
    when you overpay the court, they're satisfied. as far as they're concerned, they closed their case against you, and send you your change in the form of a check. if you destroy the check, your "account" with the city/county/state is in limbo. the case file never gets kicked to the department of motor vehicles, because the computer system has the case on hold, until the monetary transaction is complete.
    you still have to pay a fine, but the violation never appears on your driving record.

stick it to the man!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

17. Cusm

Cusm 1/2 ton status

What happens if in 5 years or so, some one actually audits the cases and then your case is kicked over to DMV, do points go on your record then and not dropped for X-amount of years, or would it be a time served type thing?

Good lord. The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up it's butt.

18. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Years back when I was 18 or 19 I got a speeding ticket that my Dad said was not right so He went to court with me. The Judge asked Dad why he thought the ticket was wrong. The Judge asked how my father thought he was smarter the cop on the use of the radar gun. My father showed him a royalty check on the gun showing him as the patent holder for it and others (radar guns were made to tell true ground speed of airplanes, Doppler VOR is another part of the same thing I don’t claim to understand any of it) The Cities Prosecuting Attorney wanted to know if my father had and certificates show he was a technician for that Radar Gun which Dad did not have. In the cities mind my father was not certified to say if the gun was used right or not since he only designed it and was not certified by there rules to fix it or calibrate it.

19. Muddin_Mavric

Muddin_Mavric Registered Member

Dont any of you guys us a radar detector? when it goes BEEP BEEP BEEP stop speeding :) i know its not full proof and not speeding would work better but in town if there is a cop with in 1 to 2 miles (with his radar on of corse) even if hes around corners and out of sight it will go off just the needle wont move as far as if hes right there pointing it at you. i got one thats 20 years old and it works great but grocery store doors will set it off. I would love to see how good the newer ones are. anyway just make sure you can remove and hide it incase a cop does pull you over because once he sees it you know you wont be getting a warning.

Justin Behr

20. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Radar detectors only work when the cop is using a radar. Sometimes they will sit somewhere waiting for someone going unreasonably fast, and then turn on the radar, pace them, or whatever they do. Also, a lot of times, by the time the radar detector has gone off, its too late.

90K5

See my truck at <a target="_blank" href=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</a>