Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trail Box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rob 85K5, Sep 5, 2001.

1. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

While I have the back seat out, I have been tying my box with tie downs to the pins that the seat latches on.
    As the seat will go back in eventually, what are you guys tying your stuff down to?
    I have some ancors that I can put in to run a tie down through, just wondering if there was an easier way?

Its a pretty big box, holds everything, 30 gallon rubbermaid about 4' long, 2.5' wied and 2' deep.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

2. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I've got 4 little "D" ring anchors mounted to the floor - came from a Heep Cherokee.

1 tequila 2 tequila 3 tequila Floor
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

3. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

TIEDOWNS? I just let everything fly around the bed.. .I guess that is a good idea[​IMG]

Chris

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM![​IMG]

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have a 18x48x20 underbed box bolted to the floor behind the back seat's I have a set of hard foam pads out of some ammo cans on the inside to keep the stuff from rattling. It has double locks and opens like a tail gate from the back. All safe and secure to keep it from bouncing around the truck and from somebody walking off with my gear when the roof is off.
    I also found a nice spring loaded tie downs at the local Ace. Don't rattle when not used.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I use cargo aircraft tie down rings, shh don't tell its a secret. You can get some that are similar at Northern Hydraulics.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I would just get some eye bolts and install them on each side then use a ratchet tie down.
    I too made a box/ drawer.
    Mine is the shape of the whole area behind the seat. It basicaly looks like the floor is raised about 8". I used wood, the top is 3/4plywood coverd with black marine carpet. I put a center support so all my ice chests and camping gear is stacked on top and secured.
    When I drop the tailgate the front of the drawer is exposed and I just pull it out and all my tools and parts are in one spot.
    I have overloaded this drawer and the rails I used are loosing ballbearings so I'm gonna have to add more slide rails for the weight. But so far it's been working out perrty good....

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Yeah that's what I did first go around with the 79. Mine is 12 inches high outside with a 1.5 inch lip on the sides and I used some self adhesive body moulding to put strips on it. I used a Oak faced Ply wood. Dado the shelf and rounded the edges. I found a big tote at Target that slips in the senter hole for stowing jumper cables etc and my tool box slides in the other cubbie. Works pretty good but the 79 never has the roof off so the weather was not a issue nor was theft. I think on my site you can see it when it was in the 75 for short period of time. Just wasn't secure with the top off.
    The box in the 75 is like one you would see hanging under the bed of a big truck. weather tight and locks solid.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper