Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trail Box

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueKnight, Mar 21, 2000.

1. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

So what do all of you put in your trail box when off roading? I know the basics, but what other problems have you encountered in your K5 that was'nt on the normal list?

2. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

Guess it would depend on how you wheel. I carry spare hubs, tie rods, drag link, pitman arm, drive shafts, both front inner axle shafts, one rear axle shaft, spare nuts and bolts, epoxy, water, duck tape, bailing wire, axe, machette, slide hammer(uses my large vice grips, homeade and works awesome) silicone, oil, gear oil, rags, hand cleaner, lug nuts, and u joints. Let out all the small stuff, oh yeah, 2 fire extinguishers, and a first aid kit.

Depdog

<font color=blue>"Lead, Follow, or BECOME the Trail"</font color=blue>

3. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

papers and a lighter

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

a Glock...and then everyone's rig becomes my toolbox!

(JUST KIDDING!)

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

5. DangerB

DangerB 1/2 ton status

Sounds like Dep is more prepared than anyone.
    Delta and steve have a good attitude.
    If youre not married, RUBBERS come in handy.
    TOILET PAPER- otherwise girls will hate you.
    WD-40 WHEN YOU WET YOUR DISTRIBUTOR.
    a BIG-ASS PRYBAR.
    SHOVEL
    spare engine BELTS AND HOSES.
    extra SPARK PLUGS/WIRES (trust me)
    Those big ol MONKEY GRIP TIRE PLUGS.
    CELL PHONE!!!!
    SUBLIME/ FORTY OZ. cd
    DOGS- dont forget them, they love 4 wheelin.
    OH YA, TAKE A SPARE TRUCK WHILE YOU'RE AT IT.

DangerBrett[​IMG]
    <font color=blue>life is a race, you have to look good and go fast!</font color=blue>

6. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

I would add: oil filter, starting fluid, Alumaseal, rotor, cap, and ignition module.
    CB

7. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Tent , sleeping Bag, propane stove, and heater.
    Plus a trailer to haul all this stuff....
    Your papers please....ah sorry man I only use a pipe....

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

8. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Yeah,, Pipes only,,, it's to hard to roll one on the trail, and you always end up spilling the bong![​IMG]

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Along with a High-Lift I also carry a bottle jack w/fullsize spare tire. Backup battery, ohya and like me if you don't have a winch yet bring a come-a-long,towstrap and a chain for an ancor if need be.
    Then after your day is over you can join us in a smoke signal contest [​IMG][​IMG]

What I am starting to do is everytime I make a trip to the parts store I buy what I need and also a spare. My collection of Chevy parts is slowly starting to grow!
    Bring it all if you have room!!
    Later
    Burt4x4

Rock ON!

10. mico85K5

mico85K5 Registered Member

Come along and tow-strap-indeed!

Without a winch these a must!

I was in my old dodge 2 wheel in the middle of winter in our beautiful mountains. Pulled off the side of the road in between a cliff (going up) a cliff (going down to a stream 100 ft drop) and the guard rail on the highway.

WELL, my buddy told me I had enough room to manuever the truck (to turn around) but found out I didn't! As the dodge edged toward the drop I was sweatin it and finally remember I had my towstrap and comealong. Although the truck was inching towards the edge (found out I was on nothing but ice covered with an inch or so of snow), I had just enough time to throw the strap around a guard-rail post and attatch the come-a-long to the bumper. PHEW! I winched the truck up and have yet to go anywhere without that set-up!

Mico

Driving your blazer=FUN!

11. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Nice Box, so I guess buying one of those tow behind trailers is in order :)

12. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I try to take the Depdog approach. I call my Trail Box - "Boonie Box" from an issue of Fourwheeler. I have: First aid Kit, Shop towels, Spare rear axle, spare spider gears to replace possible broken Lock-Right, spare fulltime hub, Spare Brute force U-joint, Belts, hose patch kit and clamps, JB Weld, all Fluids, Duct tape, Big fire extinguisher, Tarp, 4-way, Bow saw, hack saw, shovel, 2 mag lights, 20 foot chain, 30 foot 40,000# strap, Ramsey REP8000 quickmounted for front and rear.

When I take a major trip, like to Tellico, I will take some spare front axles too.

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

13. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a bunch of old boy scouts gone nuts with the old "Always be Prepared" motto. But I do agree it is better to be prepared then left with the A$$ hanging in the wind.
    Now somebody ought to compile all this and come up with the official (Steve endorsed) ColoradoK5 take to the trail neccessity box. And add in a box of bottled water and a case of C rats

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

14. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

ONE THING I WANT TO KNOW GUYS.......WHERE DO YOU RIDE?

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

A few more suggestions...
    For those of us with fuel injection, a spare fuel pump is a good idea. Yes, I know the dollars I'm talking about here, but if that puppy $hit$ the bed on the trail, you are a$$ out! No bottle-feeding from the hood like you can with a carb...
    Some food & water (one gallon per person per day) is a good idea (MRE's, anyone?? That'll fix those munchies!!) A change of weather-appropriate clothes for everyone with you. Couple of those little silver space blankets (They do work. TRUST ME, I am the voice of experience.). A few chemlights (lightsticks, snaplights, whatever u call them). Zippo lighter. Signaling mirror (how else can you get someone's attention from 20 miles away for $5??) Extra batteries for all batt. operated gear.
    I could go on, but we'll have to add a 2nd axle to the trailer soon! Seriously though, pick and choose what you think you'll need, then learn from your experiences.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...