Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trail Carnage gone Bad! Battery Explosion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Mar 9, 2002.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I went on a run today and had some problems. I had some crappy connections on my Battery and during a hard climb stalled the engine. Tried to restart the engine, and "Click Click" - Bad Connection. Had someone "Jiggle the cables" and during one of the turn key's, the battery exploded. Unfortunate thing was a friend was helping and he took the brunt of the explosion in the face. We quickly doused him with water and luckily he is fine. He didn't get any in the eyes, just on his skin and carhart jacket. I am pretty sure the carhart will disentegrate someday soon, lets just hope his skin doesn't! It appears, the battery connection sparked during this scenerio and caused the gasses insided the battery to ignite. The battery exploded louder than a shotgun blast! It completely devistated the battery. Just thought I would pass on this info - don't want this to happen to anyone else. A $4.00 pair of new terminals would have fixed this problem. If you have corrosion, think about this scenerio.

We had to winch me up a rock ledge. Nobody had jumpers so I borrowed a battery to get me started. On the way out of the trail, I caved in my bedside. Bad Carma I guess. I believe someone took pics, I will post them If I get copies.

2. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

Damn Neil
    Sorry to hear that, I'm glad to hear your friend will be alright
    I've always hear the stories about battery's Blowing up but I've never Knew anyone that had it happen to them.

Eric

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

one summer when I was in HS my father had 4 explode on him in old farm equipment. lets just say I make sure my face is never over a battery when I'm hooking it up or messing with it.

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn that sucks hope your friend is ok
    on another note a good thing about optimas the do not get the corosion on the terminals that normal batterys get /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

5. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    That really sucks, I'm glad your friend is ok.
    I had a battery blow up on me once a long time ago.
    It was a hot day back in Mich. and I was in a hurry and had to jump start my Chevelle. The min. I hooked the cables up (the wrong way - not hooking the + up then to a ground on the body)
    BOOM. shot gun sound is just about right.
    Luck for me I turned my head. My clothes were trash after a day. I will NEVER hook a battery up direct across post to post again. Don't forget to rinse the truck off really good and pour a couple cokes on it to stop it from attacking everything.