Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trail Clean Up Truck Project w/pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Xtremjeepn, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Xtremjeepn

Xtremjeepn 1/2 ton status

I wanted to build a project with a purpose. Something that might benefit the 4x4 community. So this last spring I bought an old Chevy truck with the plans of making it into a dedicated "Clean Up" truck. (I never have enough room in my Jeep to haul much trash). While I want the truck to be good for hauling trash, I also want it to send a message that we are not just out there tearing up trails. I want people to know that people and companies care enough about the sport to build trucks specifically to clean up and maintain our trails.
    I have a whole plan for the trucks build up and then how I am going to show it to get the message out. I am still open to ideas and still have a lot to do.
    I have been a bit slow building the project. Mainly becasue it is only me working on it.
    Here are a couple of pictures. It is still very rough:rolleyes: and needs lots of work. Just thought I would share.

Sorry for the picture size.
    This is a long way from being complete.
    I would like to thank the following companies for caring enough about the message and helping me out with this to this point. (Holley,Weiand, Flowtech, Allied Racing, Superlift, KC Highlights, Bushwhacker, Tuffy, Hobart)

The truck WAS (go a few pages back to see the current project truck)a 1974 Chevy 3/4 ton longbed "Camper Special" has a 454 with a valve rattle(motor needs some love), TH350 that I want to convert to a 700R4. I have no idea on the t-case 203 or 205. 14bff rear/D44 front.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2007
  2. chubbynova

chubbynova Registered Member

Looks goods. Good Luck and Thank you for helping to preserve the trail we have left!

3. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

dood, awesome idea... whaddya gonna do for trash receptacles? diamond plate boxes with open tops and small nets to cover the tops? and the ends of the boxes open so you can sweep the trash into cans when you get home?

4. Xtremjeepn

I'm really not sure what exactly will be done with the bed.

We have had ideas for a complete custom bed, but I am not totally sure I like them. Most of the designs I have seen eliminate a lot of the bedsides. I need the space on the bedsides to get the message across.

I want to incorporate some recycle bins, trash bag dispensers, shovel and rake holders etc. I have thought about doing a stake side on the current bed and using the planks to put "This truck built by people and companies that care about keeping our trails clean" etc etc.

I have a 5th tire for it that I need a swing away tire carrier for too. Don't want to take up badspace and need the clearance up top.

Keep the ideas coming. I will entertain them all.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

I see a swing-away as being a liability to a working truck. It will nearly always manage to be in the way of doing something. Under the bed doesn't work for obvious reasons, like snow & mud.
    I see three other options:
    1) Front bumper mount
    2) Rooftop mount (Cantilevered off a headache rack?)
    3) inset into the bed side, fwds of the rear tires, & from the outside.
    All have their draw backs.
    1 interfers with cooling airflow. 2 will be awkward to use should the need arise. 3, depending on tire size, may still cut into the bed space.

Suggest tracking down a working type (as opposed to car show horse pucky) bed tilting arrangement. Set-up the bed so that you can easily tie down a tarp over the trash. A bed mounted winch can be a back-saver.

It's amazing how much room opens up when you delete the bench seat and go to a pair of buckets, but you do loose a third seating position.

6. Xtremjeepn

I have considered the tire mount options and at this point a swing-away seems like the best option. Afterall, the whole point is being abel to swing it out of the way.

Those are 37s on the truck.

-Mounting to the hood/front bumper would be dangerous. It would block your view.

-I can't do anything that will extend the height of the truck. It is within an inch of clearing my garage now.

-The bedside mount might be interesting. I will have to measure the area infront of the drivers side wheel well. I would be willing to completely cut away the side of the bed there. Might make a cool design feature.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

well damn, you've pretty much got the truck built already. i read the initial post, and was thinking while reading it. what better way to build a "trail trash truck" than with parts from other people's "trash" piles.

8. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

The only recommendation I would have is to stay away from the 700r4. I know the overdrive sounds like a good idea and the 6:1 low ratio seems like a dream but it's way too fragile of a package. Stick with a 350 or a 400.

9. Xtremjeepn

I think the truck is far from built. Part of the reason I chose an old truck was to "recycle" it for a good cause.

The little bit of time I have driven it has been a real pain with the 3 speed auto in it. Since I am so far from the trails I need to do quite a bit of highway driving to get there. The overdrive would be really nice. Might save some of my fuel costs for those days too. Am I missing something with the 700R4? Why would it not be durable enough? Keep in mind this truck is going to be a workhorse, but when on the trail it can go around obsticles and such, it does not need to be a hardcore wheeler. It just needs to get there.

10. Xtremjeepn

Ever just have one of those days?:rolleyes:
    I have all these cool KC lights for the truck. 2 Driving, 2 Off Road and 2 floods for the rear bed area. :D
    The "bumper thumper" that came on this beauty when I bought it does not have enough space in it to fit the 6" round lights. So I drilled holes in the bumper for the driving lights.
    Then I ground off the existing light tabs on the bumper thumper and they still would not fit. (drilled more holes in the bumper with no luck). Then I decided I would just have to drill holes in the side of the bumper thumper thingy. Man....that thing is tough!!!:hail: I have a monster drill and a whole collection of bits and it took me nearly an hour to get the first hole done!:shrug:
    Then only 1/4 the way into the next hole I snapped a bit off.......time to quit for the day:beer: :beer: I will revisit is later.
    (Time for a fancy custom front bumper:D )
    [​IMG]

11. Xtremjeepn

I need to figure out how to post these stupid quick camera phone shots in a reasonable size(easily). :rant:

These are 2003 VW GTI seats. (fronts and part of the back seat used for the center section) I still need to finish the center. Thinking about using a Tuffy Console instead. There is a 20" span between the seats:eek: Two Tuffy consoles?:eek:
    [​IMG]

12. Xtremjeepn

13. Xtremjeepn

My new grill finally got here from www.HartleyTNT.com.
    They donated this to my "Trail Clean up" project. KC Highlights donated the lights you see mounted in the grill.
    Since I am not sure what color I am going to paint the truck yet I am also not sure what color to paint the grill. So what you see here is bare metal. I just wanted to test fit it to make sure everything was going to fit right.
    I was also curious how it mounted before I got it so I included a quick mounting picture. Just have to drill 4 quick holes and its done.
    I like it!! What do you think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Xtremjeepn

Well, I must be nuts. I stumbled upon a crew cab shell that needs lots of love. I have always thought this project would be better as a crew cab so that you could haul a couple of guys up to a trail to work on it. (Plus I have always loved these old chevy crew cabs.)
    Figured since we were going to tear the whole truck down to do paint and body anyway we may as well do it on the crew cab and eventually swap over the other parts. I could use all the help I can get if anyone wants to work on it. (Or would like to buy the other shell when I am done)
    [​IMG]

15. Xtremjeepn

Okay, here are a couple of pics of the Crew Cab.
    I know! Crazy Project.
    Here it sets in my garage with the original trail clean up project truck. I will be swapping everything over in the next few weeks.
    [​IMG]
    Cutting out the old floors to put in the new floor pans.
    [​IMG]
    The hood stripped of all the paint and bondo that was on it.
    [​IMG]
    The pimpin' seats. There are two sets of these front and rear. They are actually in pretty good shape.
    [​IMG]
    My assistant:whip:
    [​IMG]

16. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Hey looking good! I would like to say something. If "My assistant:whip:" is your wife feel great that she wants to help you with it
    and let her know that it is great she helps you.

I am in the fufaux of a divorce right now and my old lady never understood about the trucks of car stuff. Anyway bro be glad
    she is there for you.

AND DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE DAM PICS!

17. Xtremjeepn

Thanks. My assistant is very much appreciated. We met teaching performance driving toghether 7 years ago. :D

[​IMG]

18. Xtremjeepn

19. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

A 700r4 tranny will work for your rig if it is set-up correctly. Read up on them and you'll find most problems stem from not being set-up properly.;)

20. Xtremjeepn

Thanks man. I plan on using the 700R4. From what I have read it can be built to work just fine.

Proper set up seems key as you mentioned.

I also plan on changing these axle gears to the appropriate ones. From what I can tell many people that have cooked the 700R4 did it with big tires and improper final drive ratios.