Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trail Fixes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkulzNBonz, Aug 4, 2003.

1. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Kind of curious to hear about trail fixes (Gerry rigging) you've done to get off the trail, or stay on the trail. This Saturday, 4Gunz4x4, Okiemuddog, and I did some "light" wheelin', and not too long into it Gunz put a hole in one of his stainless steel braided brake lines. After some contemplation, we took a piece of 3/8" rubber hose and two small hose clamps and placed the hose over the hole and clamped down on the clamps. Checked, and sure enough, no more leak. Actually stayed and wheeled for a couple more hours before heading out. Let's hear some of your ingenious fixes.

John

2. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

me and some buddies were wheeling and one of them blew his spiders out the diff. they made a hole through the front
    ifs chunk and the fluid leaked out. he had about two hundred
    miles to get home. so i told him to patch the hole with some aluminum foil and jb welb. it worked great. fill the
    diff back up and he was good to go. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I did something similar with a fuel line, slit some clear vinyl tube and clamped it over the bad spot in the steel line. Watched it for a while as the truck idled and it wasn't leaking anymore...so we wheeled the rest of the day.

I actually drove it like that for over a week before replacing that line./forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I saw a guy weld a broken spring shackle with a 6011 welding rod clamped in his jumper cables! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif.He did take the battery cables off first to avoid blowing the diodes in the altenator.I used the same trick to fix my wrought iron railings on my porch when my welders cables wouldnt reach. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifI've aslo seen guys put a firewood log between the leaf spring and the frame to limp home when it broke--very slowly!. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I broke a front shackle on the first day of a 3 day trip.When I got back to camp that night I took it off and welded it up with my home made onboard welder.It held up the rest of that trip and another one a couple weeks later /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[​IMG]

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

hehehe most of my fixes involve jeeps.
    Log between axle and frame when spring broke and then flat towed it 100 miles.

Front spring mount on a Jeep (shackle end) broke and used a couple clevises to get that one out.

I wasn't there for this one but one of the guys in the club has a SAS S15 jimmy with a Detroit in the rear. Snapped the back axle shaft at splines. They took a high lift jack handle and strapped it accross the tire with some ratchet straps to the springs to prevent the axle walking out.. Greased the side of the tire and drove it out that way.

We had one member drive home with a 5 gallon jerry can strapped on his hood when he haf fuel line or tank problems.

Beer can dut taped over tail shaft on slip yoke cases has been done a few times.

musical batteries when a alternator gave it up on one truck.

HiLift hands tacked over bent tie rod.

Saw a cheap cresent wrench welded to a frame to fix a crack on the trail once.

Busted front axle shaft at the splines fished out by using onboard welder to tack a few rods end to end. Then slid it in a peice of heater hose to insulate it. Slid it up in the axle tube. lined it up on the end of the shaft still in the diff. Scond person tapped the stinger to the rods and got them welded to the stub. Pulled it right out without having to pull the diff out.

7. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    home made onboard welder

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm........

Tell me more ...

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Lets see. I lost a rear driveshaft which was behind a slipyoke 208. Fix: took a 1 liter coke bottle and cut it in half, slid it over tail of 208, and duct taped the hell out of it. Good enough to get home with.

Another, similiar to this weekends fix, I threw my battery onto my tranny lines and melted through the lines. Fix: Cut the bad spots out of the lines and replaced with fuel line and hose clamps.

My buddy broke a rear u-joint and spun his diff upward, putting the pinion yoke at an eleven o-clock position. Fix: Backed truck up to the decline of a hill, tied front of truck off to 3 trees, at bottom of hill tied 1 cable to 2 trucks, took center section of cable and connected it to a hi-lift jack, the other end of jack connected to chain which was connected to pinion yoke. Took some doing but cranking down on the hi-lift pulled down the pinion enough to bolt the driveshaft back on. Damn Chrysler rearends.