Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trail Food???

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ak bandit, Sep 21, 2005.

1. ak bandit

ak bandit 1/2 ton status

What's everybody bring to eat while wheeling. I have a 2-day wheeling/camping trip this weekend and I'm looking for food ideas.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Jerky is one of my staples :D

3. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

jerky and lots of water :)

4. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

For a 1 day trail ride we ussualy bring sandwiches, chips, sodas, and tons of water.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

usually stuf to make sandwichs, some chips, and lots of drinks since you get pretty dehidrated out here in the rocks.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

When I go out for more than a day, my wife makes a bunch of burritos. Some for breakfast, some for lunch/dinner. They have different stuff in them. She then freezes them untill we leave. That way you can heat em up on the grill when ready to eat. As far as eating on the trail, pre cooked hamburgers. I prefer them to sandwiches.

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

lots of stuff...

I'd bring non-perishable stuff like peanut butter and mashmallow,and crackers,chips,and lots of BEER!!!..and water,jerky,slim-jims,MORE BEER,and maybe some Jack Daniels or Souther Comfort in case anyone gets injured and needs sterilization..strictly for medicinal purposes! :D ...I dont drink much beer,but I've found its better than cash if your in a bind,stuck in a mud pit or ditch--many people are much more willing to help in exchange for beer than money in some cases.. :D :crazy: cheaper than AAA too!.. :laugh:

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

In the past I always took jerky, or dry sausage, depending on what we made more of that year etc .. or what was left by that time of year. The usual sandwich fixin's .. soda's & water & juice.

For our wheelin/camping trips to the Nueces river, I did the same, but usually tried to take something nice for at least one evening meal. Usually steaks or fajitas or something like that. But, we always went to my buddy's relatives land right on the river.. so I knew there was a good expanded metal grill to cook it on.

9. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

Normally burgers for dinner and sanwiches for lunch.:D

10. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

On the trail we bring a cooler with fixin's for sammichs (hamburger buns work very good for bread) fruit, chips, and of course Jerky.

Also, 1 gal of water per person per day. Don't even think about going with less.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

My camping and wheeling pack ups are very different.

If its a camping trip or I have a "base camp" to go back to I pack a wide variety of food, just like you wold do at home.

Warm weather wheeling-sandwiches, burritos, Pringles (they don't get crushed as easily), Little Debbie's, Gatorade, water, and Coke.

Cold weather wheeling-take the above list and add a can of Chunky soup, then trade the sandwiches for burgers or sausages and add a small stove to cook them on.

I always keep some non perishables & an extra gal of water in my pack up box for the "just in case".

One last thing- something to clean your hands with.

One guy I've wheeled with no longer brings food the summertime, only ice-cream. he's got a yellow D90 w/ an ARB fridge/freezer. His nickname is "The Ice-Cream Man (shocking). He gives out icecream all day. Everyone makes sure he well feed. I guarantee he eats better than anyone else on the trail ride because he gets a little from everyone he hooked up during the day.

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

in the Burb, i bring the entire kitchen. Plenty of room on the roof for coolers. :D

13. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Beer, samiches, water, Gatorade, jerky, soda, and Beer.

John