Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trail fuel consumption?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Apr 29, 2005.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Just wondering what the average amount of gas people are using a day on trail rides? Looking to get a fuel cell for the truggy and want to get one as small as possible.This is strictly a trail rig that is towed to the trail.

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I figure 1 gal/hour of trail time.
    This has been good so far for the buggy. I have a 22 gal cell and have been glad to have it a few times.
    The problem with fuel cells is that they are so large on the bottom that it takes at least 5 gal of fuel to have safe amount for normal driving. The fuel tends to move around a bunch when they get low and then you starve for fuel at the worst times.

I also like the larger cell for multi day camping and wheeling trips.

3. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

my 31 gallon blazer usually gets me 5 or 6 hors in 4lo

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

What the heck kinda engine you got lol, i figure about 8 gallons an hr haha. Course I am usually in mud, and Ive never been accused of bein light on the stupid pedal.

5. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

I'm right in there for 1gal/hr. I have a 32 gal cell in the bed and love to have it for multi-day trips. Another thing to remember that the foam (baffles) do take up volume and help with fuel slosh. Can only get about 27 gal. into my 32 gal cell with the foam.

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

If you are crawling I would say 1-2 gal/hr. That is about what I use when I go on a run. The trails are 40miles from my house so I use about 8 gallon's getting to and from the trails.

I use about another 6-8 gallons to crawl all day. If you are mudding or laying the hammer down on hill climbs and stuff you will consume more fuel then that.

If I was buying a cell I would get one that doesn't have foam. Get a baffled tank. Marv Springer has had nothing but problems with his cell that has foam in it. He usually has to clean the fuel filter out 2x per day or more to get the foam out of the filter. Otherwise it will starve the motor for fuel.

He is running a cell from Summit Racing I believe. He also had that cell crack at the welds once too. The cell is alumnium.

Harley

7. 79chevyk10

Have heard the same from friends about the foam. I plan on changing the foam often or I have heard of some good ideas for baffling. Like using 2 liter bottles cut up. How old was the foam in your buddies cell?

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

It wasn't very old at all. He has only had his buggy running for a couple years and it has been a persistent problem for quite awhile with it.

Harley

9. 79chevyk10

Thanks, have only been running my cell for only a couple of months. The foam still looks fine, but think I'll remove it before it starts to crumble. Then make some baffles. Just one more fab project to add to the never ending list. :D

10. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I go through 16-20 gallons/6 hours. I don't turn the motor off though. It runs all day.

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i probly go thru 1-3 gal. per hour on average trail rides. 2-5 mudding.

12. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Don't you think it would be important to know what motors everyone is running when you try to judge this?
    I'm full size, somewhere in the 6,000 lb. range with a 350HO 330hp and 1406.
    I wheel all day and usually use about 12-14 gals.
    We do stop and take breaks through out the day too.