Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trail list for BB06

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by CK5, Jun 30, 2006.

1. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

OK, right after the 4th holliday we need to get serious about what trails we are running so lets start talkin.

Friday: hells r
    Sat: pritchett

Those seem like the major ones that everyone likes to do, others?

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Oh yeah, we need to figure out meeting places as well.

3. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Three levels of difficulty????

Friday Hells revenge or Area BFE I say area BFE

Sat. Hard Pritchett
    Med. Gold bar rim
    Easy ????
    Sun. Hard/extreme Coyote area BFE if time allows
    Med. Behind the rocks
    Easy Fins and things

I really only know of the hard/med trails so the easy ones I don't know of many good places to go.

4. FWP

FWP CRS

My "must wheel" list, In 'git er dun order of importance, not necessarily in time order :)

BFE
    Rusty Nail
    Hells Revenge
    Pritchet
    Gold Bar

I have an idea Steve, why not put up a list of trails on the board, have folks put their name next to the trails they want to run. We could get an idea of who wants to do what. If 20 poeple want to run Pritchet, maybe 3 different days are in order.

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Not only am I in the sheet metal gang but we will have our 2 year old daughter in the rig most of the time. Wife and Kid actually like wheelin.

Are you doing a 'minimum/recommended equipment required for this trail' list?

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I really want to try the area BFE this year....I wouldn't mind doing it on Friday.

7. bp71k5

bp71k5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Yea, I would probably find a recommeded equipment useful for different runs. Like 2 or 4 wheel lockers, winch, etc.

8. bp71k5

Cool, that's helpful. I didn't even think about tires. Sounds like I should bump mine up to 33's at least which is what I was planning on. i admit i know nothing about wheeling except how much fun it was been riding in the back seat while someone else was driving. :)

9. miniwally

Maybe this is a better way to get things started

Each person that has been to a BB that would like to be a leader/tailgunner on a run post up what run/runs you would be a part of. From there we can decide on what to do.

I will be part of the Extreme team all weekend. Starting Thursday night and leaving Sunday afternoon and maybe Monday mid day.
    There is only one problem with me being there for sure. My wife is due in the end of Oct./early Nov. so I might not be able to make it if she seems to be early/things not going well.

I would be a part of either Area BFE or Hells revenge on Friday. I will do what ever the group wants to do. Or if we want to split up I would prefer to do the Area BFE thing. Hells revenge is a good trail for stock, all of the way to the extreme team. Area BFE is going to be about the same. There is harder stuff at BFE and the place is setup around hardcore tough stuff but a stocker could have adventures just getting to the trail heads.

Saturday I will be part of the Pritchett canyon run. Pritchett is a Hard core run.

Sunday I will be on Coyote and maybe area BFE. These will be extreme trails.

Night runs are possible if someone wants to do one. I am usually game for these.

Upper Helldorado is always a fun night run.

This is how I see things as far as vehicle requirements go.

Extreme team:
    40" tires
    axles to handle the tires
    lift if you have any body left
    two working lockers
    working winch
    expect body damage
    pack spare parts and tools
    know how to drive
    know how to have a good time and be part of the cool kids crowd. :p:

Hard core crowd:
    37" tires
    lift to clear tires
    two lockers
    strong axles
    body damage likely
    pack spares and tools
    know how to drive
    working winch

Mall Crawlers: (They prefer the name Sheetmetal gang :D )
    35" tires
    4" lift roughly
    at least one working locker
    working winch on at least two of the vehicles on the run
    Body damage might happen but not likely
    pack some spares and good amount of tools
    have some driving skill but look at this as a way to learn as well

Wantabe Mall Crawlers: Still part of the Sheetmetal gang but just smaller :wink1: .
    33" tires
    small lift
    open or lockers
    someone should have a working winch in the group
    Drivers looking to learn and expand their knowledge.

Stock
    Just that stock vehicles
    come to learn and have a good time, there are places and things for you to do.

I think it is important to note:
    All vehicles should have the following regardless of classification.
    First aid kit
    seatbelts and seats for all passengers
    basic food, water, sunscreen. Bring enough to last a bit in case something happens
    toilet supplies
    fire extinguisher at least one if not two per vehicle
    clothing, It can go from 80 during the day to 50 at night and get rainy and cold at anytime. Bring a variety of clothing and don't be suprised to use it.

This is a list that is really set up for those that are new or only been once or twice. Those that have been know what to expect.

There are always exceptions to the above classes. I know a few people that will have a vehicle that is on 35" tires and be wheeling the hardcore trails and doing good. These people have been there done that and know the trails and terrain well.

Please don't get offended if you are asked to not do a trail due to your vehicle. It is really in the best interest for everybody. But please don't try to do a trail that is above your vehicle.

This is just a starting point. Please add to or change as you see fit.

There are several people that have been there and have a better feel for what is needed so I hope they will fill in and change what they feel should be changed in this post.

10. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    mini wally:

Good descriptions of the different levels and a good basis to start from.

The jimmy would probably fall into the hard core group other than not having a winch. But with my expertise behind the wheel it falls easily into the mall craw, (sheet metal gang).:D

I can't wait!!!

11. miniwally

I was hoping that the listing of vehicle requirements and driver ability would help.

This is meant for everybody to go and have fun. Part of having fun is to stay within the driver and vehicles capibilities. This does two things it lets the driver have fun and keeps them from having to fix broken junk everyday and night.

12. bp71k5

Uh oh, i need 35's now to even be a wannabe? Is going 33's over my stock 31's worth it? I don't want to do any trimming on my first gen so I doubt 35's will work.

13. stallion85

I'd say with 31's you are really limiting yourself. Hell I had to winch up rocker knocker with 35's and lockers f/r.

I am pretty stoked for this year. Looks like I fit right in with the hardcore crowd. Here is a list of upgrades since last year: D60 High steer, 4.56 gears (3.73's last year), narrowed front end, Fuel injection (carbs blow donkey balls), 52's up front, custom tranny crossmember, 8274 warn winch.

I ran Pritchett last year, but got denied (truck wouldn't get up obsatcle before it) right before the rock pile and thought it would be a good idea to turn around with half of the group and call it a day.

I am really interested in this BFE thang since all vehicles can have fun and I didn't wheel there last year.

I remember last year they had a Rock Racing event so it was closed, I think.

Anyways, whatever I end up running I know it will be fun with some old and new friends from here at Ck5!

14. stallion85

Oh ya and congrats on the upcoming arrival Brandon! I think I will stick with the 2 little monsters at my house....lol.

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I'd think some sort of cage stuff should probably be added to that list, and possibly even the 'Hardcore' list as well. When i went in '03 there were places I voluntarily did not take my truck due to the lack of any type of a cage or roll bar. That was a personal decision, but I do think these lists should reflect not only the minimum ability of the rig/driver but also some minimum safety.

Rene

16. stallion85

Good point

17. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    yep cage / rollbar definately good equipment. I think I have that covered pretty well on mine :rolleyes: .

I also think for every group tow points front and rear and strap or rope!

18. bp71k5

I'm planning on having 33's by the time I get up there. Maybe if I list my mods, someone can rate me?

71k5 12b rear, d44 front
    327 + TH350 auto
    stock power steering
    4" TC lift in front, 6" rear
    ORD crossover steering (no hi-steer)
    rear pinion rotated (will have rear cv shaft by then)
    stock rollbar
    33x10.5 on steel wheels (I like the Mickey Thompsons for nostagic reasons...are they any good?)

I'm really interested in a rear locker. The only time I'd be using 4wd would be in snow or some mud once in awhile, although I say that without having been to the sand in Hollister yet... (that sounds fun) I'd really like the Eaton e-locker if and when it's available for some rock crawling in Moab. I'll be on the street with it 90% of the time, so a Detroit sounds too much for my needs.

Am I even a wannabe mall crawler? I've done some mild wheeling in dirt/mud back in highschool, but that was a long time ago, an I'd call that pretty mild. I'd hate to scrape off any of the bondo on my fenders. :)

19. bp71k5

That's good info. I'm looking to have some fun wheeling once in a while and have a cool rig to drive on the road the rest of the time. 1-ton gear just don't seem to fit what I'm into (yet). I may just stick to the 33's and make a judgement call when it comes down to it. I can have just as much fun watching other trucks take on the big stuff. Plus I got lotsa beer to help pay for any help I might need. :)

20. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

A truck in any condition can be fun . Build it at your pace and enjoy it . I won't be with the hardcore crowd , but still intend to have fun .

And don't worry about paying with beer . If you are wheeling with our group , reciprocity is the norm . We just help good people out on the premise they would help us out in return . Of course I would try to have spares beforehand , but no one can possibly carry everything , and sometimes items do need to be borrowed .

Beer is to be shared with friends wheter you broke or not :D