Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trail picks for BB02 ?

Discussion in 'Blazer Bash' started by fisher1648, Jul 23, 2002.

1. fisher1648

fisher1648 Registered Member

I've been looking over the trail descriptions on www.4X4now.com (excellent info !) and am curious if the trails have been selected yet or is that gonna happen when everybody arrives ?

Also, based on the definitions mentioned on the rating system and my set-up (87 K5, 4" lift, 33'BFG ATs, 700r4, 4:11, auburn ltd slip fnt/rear) and my experience (challenging but not really wild stuff) I'm thinking I will stick with the 3 to 3.5 rated trails - does this sound reasonable?

What are you guys thinking as far as your capabilities and trails ?

I've never been to Moab so I don't really know what to expect as far a difficulty but I have seen the pictures and vids and it looks great.

See ya there, Eric

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I also have never been there. For me I have to see it in person before I will decide weather or not I can or want to try and takle a trail. I too have been looking at pics of trails. The pics never tell the real story.
    I plan on just wingin it and wheel with rigs similar in status as mine. I will follow just about any fullsize but I still have to drive back to California so I will take it easy but still whell some of the hard stuff.. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

3. fisher1648

Yep - good plan. I don't want to be too conservative and miss the good sh%^ but then again I don't want to get in over my head either (650 miles from home). I'll be getting in Thurs night so that should give me time to sort it out with the crew on Friday.

Look for a bikini-topped tan 87 with "FISHER Off-Road Racing" on the windshield (I race a 2-1600 buggy). I've been known to spool up a little Zep now and again....

See ya -

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You can't check out most of the trails "in person" until you're committed. Many of them start a pretty long way from town. By the time you see what the trail is like, you're 20 miles out in the boonies. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

5. fisher1648

Hmmm...good point. So based on my set-up (87 K5, 4" lift, 33'BFG ATs, 700r4, 4:11, auburn ltd slip fnt/rear) and lets figure I'm a reasonably good (not the best but certainly not a knucklehead) driver, do ya think 3 to 3.5 would be right ?

Thanks, Eric

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

nah, you're ready for a 4-5. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif j/k, my truck has been built to handle pretty hardcore stuff... but I don't have much driving experience. I'm just gonna tag along with the hardcore guys... see what they do, and rely on the help of good spotters/trail leaders. I'm prolly not gonna try to tackle anything TOO extreme until after BB (going with SW if he's still planning on doing some hardcore stuff post-BB). I dont wanna break 1000 miles from home... and if I am going to, I want it to be AFTER I have enjoyed a full weekend of wheelin'. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

J

8. fisher1648

I'm staying at the group camp too. Sounds like we have plenty of time to sit down with a couple cold brews and look over your maps to plan the conquest of Moab !

Should be a rip !

9. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool! Sounds like a plan!
    this is gonna be one to remember!!!
    YYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 33's might be a bit of a hinderance, but nothing that being on the end of a tow strap or winch cable for a few seconds can't fix. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I've been on a lot of the trails over there with a friend that had a stock CJ7 with no lift and 31x10.50 BFG All-Terrains. It had a Lock-Rite in the back, Tru-trac up front and 3.54 gears. He made it through most of the stuff around there. Poison Spider, Moab Rim, Golden Spike, Helldorado, etc.. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

11. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Just remember that most ratings are for a *eep so if you think 3 and have a Blazer, go 4 /forums/images/icons/wink.gif
    Harry is right though, if your on a trail and can't make it up, someone will pull you. Relax, have a beer and don't worry. Your Chevy will take care of you. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

12. fisher1648

It wont be the first time on a strap !! I'm not proud - hell, sometimes it makes it more fun to be "challenged" a little more than the totally capable rigs that dont have any trouble at all.

I spoke to a fellow wheeler that just got back from a Jeep Cherokee run at Moab and he said that his cherokee (3.5" lift, 33s, ltd slip in rear) did fine on Poison Spider Mesa (4), Steel Bender(3.5), and Strike Ravine (4). He mentioned that he got jammed up a couple times (undercarriage) due to low clearence and exit departure. Otherwise, he said it was fine. I'll make sure I bring a good strap !

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Cool!
    That and skid plates sound like a good idea!!
    I have a winch too so if you need a line to make it up/over/off an obstical I can help ya /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    YippyYaaaHoooo /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

14. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Posion Spider and Steel Bender can been done with an almost completely stock vehicle. The other one I have not been on. Posion Spider is easy enough that I let a friend of mine drive and I sat on top of the roll cage the whole day if that gives you any idea as to the level of those trails. They are both fun, Poison Spider would be my pick for scenery of the two though.

15. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    As with any trail, it <font color="red">ALL </font color> depends on what line you take.