Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trail Ready Beadlocks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crwln73, Sep 14, 2002.

1. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

Anyone running 16.5x9.75 beadlocks? Do you have any problems with them.Im running 38.5 TSLs.Soon to be 42s.

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I have a set. No leaks, or loose bolts. I'm happy with mine, and the aluminum ring has taken abuse really well. Only drawback I can see is that it may take a few months to get them. Steve has a set, maybe he can give you more info.

BIGJ

3. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

4. Brian85gmc

Brian85gmc Registered Member

I'm sure this has been asked before but this seems like a good time.

I know bead locks are not street legal, but does anyone have any experience with them on the street. What if you make sure to torque the bolts every day?

I remember some "ultimate adventure" pictures with them going down the highway on bead locks.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Beadlocks are street legal as far as I know. If anyone disagrees with that statement, please reference a section in the vehicle code for any state that bans them /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . You have to check the bolts pretty regularly to make sure they don't loosen up. Everyday at first, but after that you should get a feel as to how often you should be checking them. If you get Stocktons, you'll need to retorque them about every 10 minutes. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif </font color>

6. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I don't know where the whole illegal Beadlock Theory came from, but I do know that Hummer beadlocks are street legal cause they're DOT approved!!!! Ask me how I know! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

7. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

U want me to ask Trail Ready? They're right down the street from me. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Been thinking about a set myself. After a trip to Moab. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif
    Amazing how a trip like that can be so informitave. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I doubt you will find anything written in the law specifically saying beadlocks are legal, though technically they probably are since modifying a wheel will void the DOT certification. On that point, I have never heard of anybody around here ever getting stopped for having beadlocks (though there are not very many).

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I've run them as low as 5-6 psi in snow, usually around 8-9 in rocks, no problems. I've run them pretty much flat to get to an air hose and they stayed on, had to be 2-3 psi or less, but I didn't turn much and it was just in the shop yard so I didn't mind trying. The rings will take a beating and I've dinged my locking hub a couple times, but nothing major there. Track width on mine is about 86" outside to outside, which is pretty compact for a full size.