Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trail rig...14sf? 14ff? dana60? dana70?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72k5junky, Jul 9, 2005.

1. 72k5junky

72k5junky Newbie

im looking to make a decent trail rig here on a budget, my question is: is a 14 bolt sf strong enough to handle 35's and a locker for moderate trail use? (im not good enough to do any crazy crawling yet) or am i setting myself up for failure and should just go ahead and upgrade to a ff 14 bolt or even a dana 60 or 70? any advice would be much appreciated... as well would the u joints and yokes outa my 71 k5 bolt right up with any of these rear ends? -thanx

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

14bff is stronger than 14bsf, and probably same price?
    dana 60 in the rear may be strong enough

3. mrhoes

mrhoes 1/2 ton status

I put a 14SF in my 86 K5 and I am going to run 35s I am not worried about breaking shafts they are big compared to 10 bolt shafts the only spare I think I am going to bring is c-clips

4. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

IMO the 14b SF would be more than strong enough for ya. It's a little stronger than a Ford 9" and I would have NO PROBLEMS trusting a 9" for what U want to do with it.

5. redneckdude

redneckdude 1/2 ton status

Unless you already have a decent 14bsf sittin around, i would just buy a 14bff. They are cheap and pretty dang cheap to build, esp when you consider how strong they are. Detroits can be had for 350$ and the rest of the parts are only a tad more expensive for a 14bff than a SF. The only real drawback is that the 14bff hangs lower than the SF, but you can always shave a half inch or so safely off the FF to make it not so bad.

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

If it's an option, try and get a 14bff out of an old military CUCV, they already have 4.56 gears and a detroit in them, and most have very very low miles on them. Your driveshafts will not bolt right up, you'll need a conversion u-joint that can be bought at most parts stores, I got mine from NAPA.