Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trail rig/daily driver

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jan 27, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I was wondering what tire size (tallest) and kind of tire would be best for my truck (84 jimmy) for a daily driver and a good trail capable rig. I will use it in the mud, water and dirt. Also I was wondering what kind of locker would suit my needs for the back? For the last i was wondering what a good quality suspension lift brand is? Thanks
    Steve

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

I'm planning on a similar set up with my 84 K5. I would say no larger than a 35 or 36 inch tire, depending on the brand. Take a look at Tough Country Suspension at ORD Website. Quality stuff! I would recommend the shackle flip for the rear instead of blocks if you were planning on using them. Also a steering box brace.

Kris

3. sandracer0004

sandracer0004 1/2 ton status

for daily driver dont get TSL's

i drive 40miles per day with my 6" lifted burb on 36" tsl radials and it sucks! it has the road manors of a pig, and drinks gas like a whino drinks wisky!

lol 50 bucks a week, or 10 dollars a day in gas. 35gal tank.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My set up is 6" Superlift softrides with the ORD extended shackles up front, ORD 4" shackle flip with 3" Tuff Country springs in the rear, and 36" Ground Hawg 2's (Radial). /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I was wondering what tire size (tallest) and kind of tire would be best for my truck (84 jimmy) for a daily driver and a good trail capable rig. I will use it in the mud, water and dirt.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you still have the stock running gear and it has the optional 3.73 gears than I would run a 33" tire, a 35 would work but it would be sluggish. If you have 3.42's or higher than I wouldn't go over a 31" tire. A good trail/DD tire would be the BFG M/T, Swamper SSR, Swamper TSL radial, STS, trxus, MT/R's, etc.. I would stay away mainly from a bogger, TSL, SX, thornbird, and bias mickey thompson tires.
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also I was wondering what kind of locker would suit my needs for the back?

[/ QUOTE ]

A true trac, auburn, etc... I wouldn't use a full on locker like a detroit or spool for a DD.
    [ QUOTE ]
    For the last i was wondering what a good quality suspension lift brand is?

[/ QUOTE ] BDS suspension is probably the best, tough country, superlift & rancho are the only lifts I would consider.

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I drove my K5 as a daily a long time ago and remember the simple days of wheeling. I think I had more fun back then. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I ran trails quite often and my truck was equipped with 35" tires. If you are going to hit trails with any kind of sharp rock, I would stray away from BFG or Geolanders. I saw a ton of BFG tires with gaping holes in the sidewalls.

Im a major Interco fan these days. I have never cut a sidewall in any of the Midwestern terrain I have ran. I have even pinched the sidewalls on my 40" IROK's with the beadlock ring and drove over it without cutting the sidewall. The only problem with Interco products, is their lower mileage total.

Of course these days, I never sacrifice offroad ability for onroad. So, my pick will always be Interco products.

I did use a tire for many miles called a Wild Country mud terrain tire that was a radial. These tires worked great for my stock K5 and rode excellent on the highway. They are cheaper than BFG and have a tougher sidewall.

So, Consider a 35" tire with either major hacking or at least a 4" lift and minor trimming. You may want to skip the 4" and go with a 6" spring lift. In keeping the 35" tire range, you will be easier on the 1/2 ton drivetrain.

Good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

What's the easiest way to find out what gears I have in my truck? Im not sure if there stock or not.

8. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

My personal favorite combo for a truck like that would be.

4" BDS or TC for front, shackle flip rear.
    or
    Pay a little more and call Stephen (ORD) about the cool custom fronts he does. They are longer for better shackle angle and a softer rate than most lift springs.

35" BFG ATs (for best ride, low noise, and good wear on the road)
    or
    35" BFG MTs (for better mud capabilities but not bad on road)
    Goodyear MTRs might also be considered for multi-purpose.

Trim fenders a bit to clear when twisted up.

Lockers front and rear (Detroit preferred). I see no problem with a full locker in a daily driver. I've owned several. Only thing that would change my mind is if you had to drive in snow/ice a lot. If that's the case, locker in front and a selectable locker in back would be the best.

I've run several trucks with configs similar to this and it has always worked well for me. Right now I have an errand truck like this. 88 K5 with 35" BFG ATs, 4" lift, locked front and rear, 1 ton axles, and 350TBI/700R4/241 with 4.56 gears. To me, this is almost ideal for a multipi-purpose rig...

9. BadDog

I agree with Neil on the side wall issue to an extent. However, the Interco line tends to be hard to balance, often out of round, very noisy, and poor wear. If your slanting the truck towards serious off road work, either heavy mud or rocks, I would go Interco. But for a real multi-purpose rig like most others, where 95% of your time is on the road, I would lean more to one of the radials.

Only other thing is that the 6" lift is usually just over the threshold of low mod lifts. A 4" lift generally requires few changes; steering correction, shocks, brake lines, and the lift itself are often about it. Sometimes the front shaft must be lengthened or a spacer used. But with a 6"; people generally need a new shaft and often get into shaft binding and vibration issues, may need a CV in the rear, some have to drop the case to "help", steering correction becomes more problematic, and handling characteristics seem disproportionately affected.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If I did get the 6 inch what mods would I have to do? or what mods do you gyus recommend?

11. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

The 90 rides better then stock and drives decent too. It has a 3" Tuff Country lift and 37" MTR's on 1 tons with a Detroit in the back. I think it is a very good combo overall. I did not have to modify the body much except for the fender hack.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Wayne, Who made your front bumper? I want one!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. BadDog

Nice Wayne, I thought you got out of K5s?

Also, are those 17" wheels? Good looking setup you got there...

14. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

It's a modified Warn Classic. It might be for sale at then end of next month.

15. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

P.M ed you

16. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Nice Wayne, I thought you got out of K5s?

Also, are those 17" wheels? Good looking setup you got there...

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of K5's? Nope. I still own 3 of them but just the 90 is road worthy and the rest is sitting at Roger's. I have no plans to build another K5 at this time unless it is a full convertable. The next build is my YJ but it will have a GM drivetrain.

Yes they are 17". I got them made by Rockstomper right before he stopped making wheels. Plans are for Trail Ready Beadlocks later this year.