Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trail Spares- How far do you go?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fabjunkie, Oct 31, 2006.

1. fabjunkie

fabjunkie 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking about what the minimum is that I need to put together for trail spares.

So far I'm thinking....

1. Fluids. One bottle of brake fluid and ps fluid, two or three quarts of gear oil, motor oil.
    2. Assortment of wiring, connectors, zip ties, fuses, etc.
    3. Assortment of tools. Only carry sizes that are on the truck.
    4. Front axle shafts
    5. Extra set of locking hubs
    6. U-joints and/or D-shafts
    7. Wheel bearings
    8. Pair of brake calipers. Same front and rear, so I'd be covered either way.
    9. Rear axle shafts. I don't how often guys break 14ff axles but....
    10. Tie rod ends

I could go more with say an extra alternator, starter if I was auto, etc. Stuff like the tie rod ends are $ to just carry around. Stuff like calipers starts to take up space and add weight. At what point is it too much? This is stuff that I plan on having in the truck at all times, not just when on the trail, and I'm going to incorporate it all into the truck somehow so that it takes up the least amount of space as possible. This is on my rig in my sig. Anything I'm not thinking of or can do without? I don't plan on rebuilding my truck on the side of the trail, but want to have what I would need in most cases.

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

1. Fluids. One bottle of brake fluid and two ps fluid, two or three quarts of Auto trans fluid and motor oil.
    2. Assortment of wiring, connectors, zip ties, fuses, test light etc.
    3. Smallest needed Assortment of tools. Only carry sizes that are on the truck.
    4. 2 U-joints for driveshafts and 1 for front axle
    5. Random brake line. Might or might not work on the buggy
    6. tire repair kit, snatch block, tow strap,
    7. Due to having linked buggy some hiem joints.
    8. small random bolt, washer and nut assortment
    9. power steering belt
    10 power tank with hose and addtional 25' hose

11. First Aid kit
    12. 2 full nice rainsuits

These are the things that I carry in my buggy. I should hav emore and will as storage time allows. I have found how ever that when going out in big groups there are enough opinions on what is needed on the trail that I have always found the tools needed in the group for a repair.

Things that I have needed on the trail.
    ez out
    bolt assortment
    cordless drill
    drill bits
    more and other tools
    Jack
    Spare tire
    new knuckle

Things that I will carry now.
    Jack
    more nuts, bolts etc.
    More brake lines
    Brake line plug (Use instead of bending and crimping a hardline)
    Hammer
    Electrical multi meter
    spare relays

I think you shuould also carry anything that is unique to your rig.

If you use 1" bolts for something make sure you have a spare or two.
    Some of these things you might not need on the trail but back at camp and you have no ability to get them in the back woods town that is close.

My goal is to have what I need, and nothing more. I have found that the same holds true for a lot of guys but there is always overlap and what I feel is needed is not what you think is needed.
    I have given away my spare u-joints, taken small bolts from a buddy. Borrowed tools, loned out tools etc.

I figure on the trail it is a group thing and everybody should chip in.

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

You forgot ice chest full of beer, for when you are stranded on the trail with the wrong tools or parts.

4. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's a bottle of Jack Daniels actually. :p: Smaller packaging and quicker acting.

I figured that was a given

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

It really depends on how and where you are wheeling. I go to a spot 10 minutes from my house with nothing but a jack and a set of tire plugs. If I go a couple of hours away for some hard wheeling and am driving my wheeler there and back, I may have everything including a spare tcase!

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I dont carry anything with my in the truck really. I want to make a little compartment to carry just some standard wrenches, screw drivers, hammer. Couple quarts of fluid.

But back at camp I do bring a bunch of fluids, bolts, welder, tools. So if I cant fix it on the trail I can come back to camp and get it.

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Damn thats a ggod Idea:haha:

8. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

9. gaspass

gaspass 1/2 ton status

Leper is right

It all depends on where you wheel and for how long, and how far away you are from home/camp. Basic safety includes always wheel with a buddy in another vehicle. Now I've gone alone myself if I'm within walking distance from home or help. Here in Idaho we wheel a lot in the snow. Winter wheelin' adds another dimension and extra precautions should be taken. NEVER wheel alone in winter (2 rigs minimum). Have emergency foil blankets and food/water with you in the rig. Fire starting stuff never hurts either. The Snowest snowmobile website shows all the things a snowmobiler should have on his sled with him. Consider yourself a snowmobiler when winter wheelin' and have at least these things with you. If it can fit on a snowmobile, it can fit in your wheeler.

10. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

I carry lots o shiot.... tools, spares, I also have and ignition module, dist rotor, fuel pump, brake hoses, about 14 ujoints, cordless impact, a sleeping mat and sleeping bag ( I spent the night on schoolbus at tellico in a hailstorm with no doors or top... that sucked. )

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I am thinking just get a dirt ready trailer , a pintle hook , and take your garage behind you on the trail :wink1: ............J/K

I do carry enough to drive home if need be , seriously :thumb:

12. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If nothing else I carry an ignition module and the tools to change it.

Spare tire, Hi-lift, socket, extension, and breaker bar.
    5 quarts of oil and filter, catch-all with lid.
    fluids, trans/t-case, brake, power steering, coolant, water, gear oil.
    enough bearings to change one side of each axle 60/14.
    v-belt, assorted pieces of wire, electrical tape, duct tape.
    flathead, phillips, adjustable, torx, allen, vise grips, hub socket, utility knife, linemans pliers, BFH, snap ring pliers, test light.
    Tow strap, chain, small ratchet straps, jumper cables.
    Box of scott shop towels.

I know I'm missing something. I stopped carrying axle shafts when I went to the 60. Only need one driveshaft to get it on the trailer. If something like an alternator or water pump goes I'm calling it a day. I don't want to haul the weight around or change something time consuming on the trail. hook up the strap and get me to my trailer. See ya next time.

13. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

That's the way I am heading once I start to trailer mine. It's bad enough how much a full size weighs let alone adding 3 or 400 pounds of extras which is what I do now.

14. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

A multimeter, like miniwally suggested is a GREAT tool to have, especially if the PO made a mess of spaghetti out of the wiring like mine did. The multimeter has saved me a LOT of time chasing gremlins both on and off the road.