Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trail suburbans

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by muddysub, Sep 9, 2002.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i was thinking about how cool it would be to have a dedicated trail suburban.

to start, i would cut the fenders way out like yunit (i think) did, then it would have a 383 stroker/th400/divorced doubler, half doors on all 4, maybe cut the top off and get a soft top made, twin 35spline D60s (4ws), hydrailic steering front and rear, move the fuel tank and bob the rear end, either coils overs like the ORD jimmy or springer rear and custom made 6"' front springs, ARBs front and rear, rock rods f&r, york compressor, power tank, dual red top optimas, custom made body armor like the ORD jimmy, full internal 'cage, 1" body lift, big long bilstien shocks, howlin off road shock mounts (including the front ones that he doesn't make yet /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ), and anything else i think would be cool, rollin on 42"s

hows that sound for a start? /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

that truck was in my dreams just last week except, mine had a sub-culture windshield sticker and 42"s /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Thats what I'm working on right now. Finished product will be 383/700r4/GenII Doubler/D60/14BFF. Getting Springer suspension in the rear, 6 inch lift up front. Gonna throw the 1 inch body lift in there and cut the hell out of the fenders. Tires are gonna be 39.5 inch boggers. I got the inside tore out. Working on killing the cancer and sanding and primer. The passenger area will have carpet and the bed will be sprayed with line-x. Right now I'm working a lead to get one mabey 2 454's w/there trannys.

4. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I've been thinking about doing a trail only Sub since I started taking this one out. The biggest thing I would like to do is bob the rear end to the rear spring hangers. I would like to put the rear metal back on so that it looked the same from the rear. I'm not interested in the soft top Sub. I have found the rear to be my biggest liability. Next is the driveshaft being so long. It's great for driveline angles but sucks on the rocks. I plan on doing a doubler in my Sub eventually. Hopefully that will improve this area. As for the body I would just cut open the fenders to fit 39.5's or 42's with a 6" lift. Nothing too fancy, just the normal stuff, HD shackles, steering box brace, shackle flip, and locked 1 ton axles. That wheelbase buys me a lot on the trail. I'm not doing anything to my current Sub that I can't undo later. Everything I'm putting on now I can put on another one so I can take mine back to towing duties only. I like mine too much to turn it into a trail only rig.

5. muddysub

i totally agree chvyhs, i love my sub too much to beat it uip on the trail.

6. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Why resort to wimpy 35 spline 1.5" Dana 60 shafts when you can have 1.75" x 40 spliners!!!! Dats sactly wuht ahh Iz puttin in the 60 rear that's going under my J**p CJ8 Scrambler...oh, that and a big block Chevy and TH400...can you say "TEAR UP DA SAND"?!?!?

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

mine was kinda close to this, but better...

start with the 73 ( body's got some rot, so cutting it woudn't be the end of the world) cut the rear roof off, and do some sort of tricky midgate thing and call it an avalance ( mine would be better, so hushup) fenders would get cut up, the rear sheetmetal would get cut up a lot higher, ( like project moneypit) but I wouldn't hack the frame off. 6 inch lift, giant cage in the rear, exo cage up front, 42's or 44's rolling on 2 ton rockwells, with the dual steering setup, either beef up my 454, or get a 502/502HO and put that in, NV4500/GV overdrive/doubler/205 ( I have the room for it, so I may as well... besides, if I get the front driveshaft long enough, I can make them interchangeable, and only need 1 spare)

I dunno what else I'd do. it'd deffinately haev a springer setup, probably fuel injection, hydraulic steering assists, onboard air, etc.
    -Rich

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I left out the hydralic asist steering in the front. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif I've thought about the rockwell axle in the rear so I could have some steering in the rear for off road use only. That's would help on some of the tight trails. I was worried about my rear track on the tight switch backs next to the cliffs. Don't forget the winch too!

9. muddysub

i didn't know they made 1.75" 40 spline axles. oh and i'd have a GV overdrive, klune-V goliath and a triple stick doubler /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

imagine this, dual sm465s or 420s, gear vendors overdrive, klune-v, dual ox lockers, and a triple stick doubler. 9 shifters!! imagine valet parking!! ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. muddysub

oh yeah dual M12000s!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. cornfed

cornfed 1/2 ton status

Hey Ive got a 70 sub trail rig and it gets a lot of reactions. Its got 8" suspension, 3" body and all the fender trimming I could do, with 44 boggers on 15x12 trail-readys. The motors a 383 with aluminum heads and holley port injection when I find time to put it on. The current tranny is a 465 but that could change to either a 400/205 or 4500/205, got em both in the shop just deciding if I like wheelin with a clutch or not. Im taking it to Tillamook State Forest this weekend so Ill probably be bobbing it next week to cut off all the body damage, trying to decide whether to copy my friend brians (TTC 2001 winner) or do a 3-door crewcab flatbed. I just finished doing a hydro-assist high steer on it so im looking forward to trying that out.

12. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

and you could do all of this to a blazer/jimmy and go more places. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif lol

13. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

So far I haven't had any problems keeping up with the Blazers. I've actually found a lot of better qualities in the Sub. My wife even had good things to say about how much better the Sub felt off road.

14. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I agree that suburbans are very capable on the trail, they're great all around. I was just joking around with you guys just like you joke about our JIMMY'S and K5's. But when you guys joke about our JIMMY'S and K5'S we do not get offended. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

15. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

Don't worry about offending me! I was just talking back.

16. FLASHLIGHT76

FLASHLIGHT76 1/2 ton status

I have to give it up to cornfeds rig. I was completely incuraged watching that thing bomb around a dune fest. The Green chopped one his buddy has was really a cool Idea.
    As far as a trail rig goes I guess it depends on the trail. I always thought a trail rig would be something lighter and just good all around capabilities. Like the Burb in Dante's Peak. What your talking aout is no trail rig its a crawler. A good trail rig should have low center of gravity and be able to get in and out of tight spots.

17. roadhouse66

roadhouse66 Registered Member

Mine would be a 91' TBI454, NVG4500 tranny, KluneV, to NP205(with 3:1 when it comes out) 2.5ton Detroit locked top loaders with 6.72:1 gears, 10" 4 link air bag suspension, cut fenders and 48" Michelens on 20x10" beadlocks. Oh and full exo cage, with roof rack, and front Ramsey Patriot 15k winch....Crawl ratio would be awesome 300:1.
    Just need to win the lotto now!

18. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Poster: muddysub
    Subject: Re: trail suburbans

i didn't know they made 1.75" 40 spline axles. oh and i'd have a GV overdrive, klune-V goliath and a triple stick doubler imagine this, dual sm465s or 420s, gear vendors overdrive, klune-v, dual ox lockers, and a triple stick doubler. 9 shifters!! imagine valet parking!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've wanted to dual transmission a truck ever since I had my old 77 C20 picup truck, and one of tehse days when I get the time/money/shop area to do it, I'm gonna fabricate up a dual transmission system. the 9 stick setup would also help to deter thieves: just leave it in something obscene like R-2-4lo-N-hi-lo-front or something like that, and they'll give up with trying to find a gear thats high enough, and spinning in the right direction, and leave.

-Rich

19. muddysub

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    the 9 stick setup would also help to deter thieves: just leave it in something obscene like R-2-4lo-N-hi-lo-front or something like that, and they'll give up with trying to find a gear thats high enough, and spinning in the right direction, and leave.

[/ QUOTE ] LOL!!! that's great i love it!!

20. JAXSTER

JAXSTER 1/2 ton status

I thought the same so here it is so far. Ugly but stout.

Trail SUB