Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trail truck idea

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Mar 30, 2007.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The body on my trail truck is crushed beyond usable condition. I really want to trash the body and build a tube rig but my current funds wont allow it and I wanna get back on the trails by summer time.

so heres what Ive got, blazer frame with a locked dana 44 and 14b, sm465/np205, 4 inch springs for the front and a shackle flip plus all the brake lines, fuel lines, and tank. so basically all it needs is a motor and a body.

yesterday I found a complete scout 800 body with little rust. its already got a cage in it too and the guy said I could have it just to get it out of his yard. I know it will take some custom work to make the body work with my frame and drivetrain but what do you guys think about a scout 800 with cut out fenders and a chevy drivetrain?

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

How about going with an S10 body? At least you'd have people here to give you advice on it as a few have done it. You can make any body work with enough work.
    I look through ebay sometimes, your one, not .co.uk, and K5s are as cheap as chips over there. Would it not be easier to buy another, make a good one out of the two and sell the left overs?
    Just a thought.

3. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Go for it. Sounds like a good project

5. big dan

well the thing about buying another one is that Ive already got a good frame, drivetrain and suspension setup. and the scout was given to me. the only real cost money wise will be in fabing up body mounts but Ive got plenty of junk laying around so I should have the stuff to do it.

and I kinda want something a little different. dont get me wrong I love the body style of these trucks but I have two others that I drive. thanks for the input.

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

If you have the body and are up to the job then go for it.

just make sure you pin a Bowtie to it when your done!!:D

7. big dan

of course. I wouldnt feel right driving around without my bowtie on.:D

8. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Living here in Michigan has beaten the hell out of my 74 K5. I have debated on replacing with a new Blazer body and then cut the top off to use my hard top and soft top. Or find a high mileage, but good body off a 92 and newer Blazer.

I feel your pain, I would have to fab up body mounts and the like.

9. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The Scout is going to be a 100" wheelbase so 100" wheel arch spacing. Might take a little doing for that to fit right.