Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trailer axles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by four_by_ken, Aug 5, 2004.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Just looking for a good hook up on some 7k trailer axles, with brakes.

Anyone know of any good places?

Thanks
    Ken H.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Northern Tool and Equipment sells trailer axles,but I dont have their catolog handy,not sure if they go that high in GVW.Many race car trailers around here are made with mobile home axles bought cheap at the trailer park--they usually sell them for under 100 bucks each,and they only made 1 trip from indiana where the mobile home was made,to its final resting place.Look for a large trailer park in your area,you may find some good axles cheap there.You'll probably have to speak to whoever is in charge of the setup of newly arrived trailers. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

FYI, I was told in michigan mobil home axles are not DOT approved for trailers. The drums are cast iron, not cast steel, the brake backing plates are welded and none-rebuildable, spindles are precision cast and not ground for bearing/seal surfaces. The axle tubes are lighter 3/16" vs 1/4" for actual 6K axles and a 6K mobil home can have up to 3 different spindle sizes on the same size axle tube. So you can have a 6K tube and 3500lb hubs.

I know first hand. The @#$%^ that built my trailer used these axles. Since then(1997) I have found out this wasn't the way to go. It cost me $250 and many hours to cut the old backing plates off, grind housing, install backing plate mounts etc. Still have cast drums with smaller than desired bearings /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

Good 6K axles with brakes will run about $300. Don't go cheap on the axles. I personally know one guy whose cast iron drum shattered while towing, luckly it didn't roll.

4. Diesel Dan

BTW Ken,

If you are heading north stop of at Northland trailer in Kawkawlin, right on M-13 at the light. Lots of stuff on hand, good prices.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You should PM Greg72, he just bought a set of 10,000 lb. axles complete with springs and hangers and got a killer deal on a package from some place in Texas I believe. Greg is out of town at the moment but due back shortly so i'm not sure how often he has been checking the site so be patient if you PM him and don't get a response right away. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Thanks for letting me know about the mobile home axles--here in MA they only care if you have brakes over 3000 lbs,and a title.I myself would not use them because I have had them in the past,and the 14.5 inch tires and wierd rims are a PITA to find and change--I wasnt aware of how cheesy they are made till you just enlightened me! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I guess another nail in the mobile home axle idea is many are more than 8 feet wide,so they must be cut and spliced,another potentioal weakness.The 10 foot ones work well for a box off a straight job truck in the yard for storage--I avoided taxes on mine by making it a "trailer"--even though I only moved it once in a blue moon to mow around it--now it has a lean-to built onto it,so I cant move it,but as far as taxes go,if its got wheels,its not a shed or building,its a trailer.I've heard rumors our town will soon follow the trend several other towns have adopted,that is charging excise tax on boats and trailers parked in yards.Pretty soon they'll probably charge us an asphalt tax for having a driveway. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Redneck Trailer Supply has good prices on quality products.
    If you know someone with a commercial account with them, prices are lower. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. four_by_ken

I am replacing the mobile home axles... dont want another set.

I will call Northern and see what I can get from them.

So far I have a quote of $914 including springs shipped unassembled to my house over the internet. And a price of $1162 without springs locally.

Ken H.

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Wow I never knew that. We have 3 trailers built using mobile home axles. 1 18' 10k lb rated car trailer, 1 12' 10k rated dump trailer, and another trailer made to haul a big air compressor. They all got titled and pass inspection every year. Maybe we got lucky but I've never had a problem with em as long as you maintain them well. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. four_by_ken

Does this place really exist? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Cant find a number or anything for it.
    Information.. yahoo yellow pages... nowhere. What gives?

[ QUOTE ]
    BTW Ken,

If you are heading north stop of at Northland trailer in Kawkawlin, right on M-13 at the light. Lots of stuff on hand, good prices.

[/ QUOTE ]

11. odee1

odee1 Registered Member

my trailer was built by a friend around twenty years ago, has mobile home axles under it. Have just done regular maintaince to it since I have had it the last fifthteen years or so. I have put many a mile on it with my dragcar,a mudracing rig I had and my jeep without any problems. Might be that I have gotten lucky or have a older set of axles before they started cheaping out on parts.

12. four_by_ken

Not to be a jerk here... but I am looking for a new set of axles, not debate the whole mobile home axle thing.

Thanks

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Not to be a jerk here... but I am looking for a new set of axles, not debate the whole mobile home axle thing.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

not be be a jerk either, but google is your friend. Found these in about 30 seconds...

http://www.etrailerpart.com/
    http://abctrailerparts.com/aframekit.html
    http://www.tjtrailers.com/store/trailer-parts.html

And there's always northern tool.

For me personally if it's good enough to haul a $50,000 double wide across the state it can haul my trail rig. Been hauling a backhoe with it for 17 years now.

14. four_by_ken

Well, I did search. Just because you can search the internet means I cant ask it here also? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I am looking for personal experience, not everything is on the internet you know. Expand your mind. Some of the best places out there dont use the internet.

Best engine buildiner I know... you wont find him on the internet. Same with my trans guy.

Thanks though.

15. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

deleted, thread no longer worth my time

16. four_by_ken

Good, because you were littering my thread.
    /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

17. Diesel Dan

Ken,

Just back into town.
    My bad, is woodland Industries, (989)-686-6176.

FWIW, I have mobil home axles currently. If a new trailer is in the works, NEVER again.

18. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Wow, talking about being a bastard in this thread.

I was going to be nice, but instead I'll just tell you that there is a company that builds axles for everything from snowmobile trailers to car haulers to pontoon trailers to pintle hitch-equipped trailers in your neck of the woods for a decent price.

19. four_by_ken

Cool. Thanks, I will call them in a little while.

Ken

[ QUOTE ]
    Ken,

Just back into town.
    My bad, is woodland Industries, (989)-686-6176.

FWIW, I have mobil home axles currently. If a new trailer is in the works, NEVER again.

[/ QUOTE ]

20. four_by_ken

Huh? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    How was I being a bastard? I started the thread looking for a place to get axles to replace the mobile home axles. Not get mroe mobile home axles. The thread started to go towards the pros and cons of mobile home axles... which didnt help me much.
    Sorry if I came across as a bastid.
    /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow, talking about being a bastard in this thread.

I was going to be nice, but instead I'll just tell you that there is a company that builds axles for everything from snowmobile trailers to car haulers to pontoon trailers to pintle hitch-equipped trailers in your neck of the woods for a decent price.

[/ QUOTE ]