Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer axles

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by CrewCab59, Nov 27, 2005.

1. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me if older construction trailers used mobile home axle?This trailer has bud 14.5 tires ,the brakes are adjustable like norm.
    Trailer spec.. 1990 18ft with dove 8'' wide frame ,16,000lb triaxle.

New wood deck,jack,pintle eye,tires brakes,lights,and would though in the receiver and hook. $1000.00

what do you guy's think.Any help would be great...

2. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

The 14.5" rims make me think they are deffinately mobile home axles, I've never heard of other rims that size. The easiest way to tell is to look at the middle of the wheel. The mobile home axles have no center, just the outter rim.

3. CrewCab59

CrewCab59 1/2 ton status

Yes, wheels have no centers.The axle tag 5500lb ,I thought mobile home never listed a lb or any tag?I now this trailer is very well built, is't painted construction yellow even the under side, wires for the lights in steel tube like from the factory..

anybody else have info??

4. cok5

cok5 Registered Member

IIRC heavy duty trailers had a wheel/axle combo that were the same "style" of mobile home axles but were definetely not mobile home. 5500 lb rating is dang high! Sounds like a good deal. You can swap regular "outers" onto mobile home axles, I just can't remember the home brew recipe!

5. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

They will work fine, but the 14.5" tires are a bitch to find.

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

They are actually cheap and easy to find out here anyway. Last set I bought were $50 each at commercial tire in Central Oregon for 8-14.5. Got them to move a house a couple years ago, now I use them as spares for my car trailer since it came with MH axles. Best part about them is they are basically a low tire with a good load capacity so the fender or deck doesn't stand too tall.