Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer Brake away kit??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90blzr, Sep 15, 2003.

1. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Anyone have one or ever had the need for one? I've heard a few people that have gotten them, but never used them.

I've also heard that they can do more harm than good /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Anyone have any experience with the brake away kits versus the regular saftey chains?

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Every trailer require by law to have brakes must have both brakeaway and safety chains. One is not a substitute for another.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I've also heard that they can do more harm than good

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's your source? I've been using breakaway gear for over 15 years both personally and at work and I've never once had an issue with it causing "harm".

Breakaway switches are a cinch to use: hook it up and go. Once you're done, unhook it.

And like Tim said, if DOT catches you towing a trailer that's not equipped with a breakaway switch AND safety chains, I would imagine you'd be in a little bit of trouble.

4. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

yep yep gotta have the breakaway switch if your trailer has brakes. Campers with breaks require them too. The only downside I had was the time my pop in law hooked up the camper and got the breakaway line tangled in the chains. I pulled out and went around the first turn and the wire pulled out of the switch locking the brakes and giving me a heart attack until I figured out what it was /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Every trailer require by law to have brakes must have both brakeaway and safety chains.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Although this is not true for every state, but should be considered /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Required by law in MOST states.

Its barely noticable. Doesnt interfere with anything.

Chains are your first line of defense against a run away trailer. If your hitch ball comes undone/snaps/ or the lock brakes free, , the trailer chains will catch it.

trailer brakes on the other hand, is the second line of defense, should your trailer break totally free from your truck.

You should mount it to part of your frame, something that is seperate from the hitch, just in case your whole hitch breaks away.

P.S: if you happen to have a SURGE brake however, I do not believe break away kits apply.