Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer brake controller

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by gmcjimmy4x4, Apr 20, 2007.

1. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

Never had a trtailer big enough to need braks before. Not sure what to buy and is it easy to install? Dont use it often, so i dont need anything to fancy. But it does need something. Any suggestions?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They are so easy to install . Red to the cold side of the brake switch , black to positve battery terminal ( weird they use black ) , white to ground of battery , and the blue runs back to the trailer connector .

Look on towrig.com for input as to what brand .

I run an Activator on my pickup since it came with the purchase of my camper . And on my Blazer , I bought a Hoppy from Autozone with a digital readout . Both actually work fine for my 3000 pound trailer .

The more expensive ones have better control from what I read though .

3. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I have the draw-tite Intella-Stop UltraTM , it is the same thing as the Tekonsha prodigy. Same company, different name. This is by far the best brake controller I have ever used. You do not have to level it and set anything. It automatically senses the angle you mount it at and the more your vehicle nose dives (when you hit the brakes harder) the more it applies the trailer brakes. It also has a booster button on it that comes in real handy. For instance when I am in town I turn the boost off because I don't need that much assist from the trailer. However when I am on the interstate I bump the boost on so the the trailer brakes will engage a little sooner and harder when you have to stop. Shop around and you can find them at pretty good prices. I paid 84.00 to my door.

4. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

I just ordered a Tekonsha Prodigy from RVwholesalers.com for the Hubbies Duramax, but haven't towed with it yet. Look like there is a new Prodigy, too, called the P3. Must be really new as it wasn't offered a couple weeks ago when I bought ours. I did some research before I bought it, mostly at towrig.com. It seemed the consensus was for the Prodigy. Some guys swore by Brakesmart, but it seemed harder to install. Good luck.

5. blowedupmotor87

blowedupmotor87 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I bought a Tekonsha Prodigy and the only install problem I am having is figuring out where the heck to mount it! :confused: I am thinking somewhere in the realm of above and to to the right of the gas pedal on the angled part of the dash (less than 70 degrees of course). I don't know when I am going to use it though, I bought it 'cause my buddy thought I'd need it to tow a trailer for him but, ended up it had surge brakes and, he got a different truck to tow it. Oh well. :D

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  6. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

I am buying a truck in bragg, You could always pick it up and bring it to Tn for me:wink1: Would be a good test, I could even through in a case of beer:D

7. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

just got a new travel trailer.. so of course a new controller was in order. snagged a Tekonsha Prodigy and put it in after i brought the trailer home. Took it out last weekend and WOW,what a difference! Wish i woulda done it years ago. TT weight (on the scale) was just over 7000...

8. gmcjimmy4x4

gmcjimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

hey woody, What are you towing it with?