Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

trailer brake, hows it work ?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by R77K10, Apr 12, 2006.

1. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

on the 77 k-10 theres oe of those little trailer brake lever units under the dash, common single lever one

i see that it has brake line running through the firewall to it and its Teed into the rear line off the m/c

how does this work ? it must send electrical back ?
    how many hot wires does it feed back ? just one or ?
    is that all the thing does is waits for you to apply brakes so it can send hot to the rear ? if so the why not a brake light switch on brake pedal instead ?

the truck has a big 5th wheel ball plate in the bed floor middle

and has a couple small commonly seen metal circuit breaker deals with the threaded stud wire connections and in the bed is big round black wiring and plug ends for some kind of big camper or trailer wiring,

and they also took the orange and white wire from the cargo lamp assembly and used that power for something too

also there is a round socket female metal fixed position style wiring plug right above the rear bumper -just under the tailgate bottom edge with a flip lid on it, commonly seen too on other rigs,

this thing has all kinds of different trailer wiring harnesses and plugs everywhere and relays and circuit breakers and so forth

what did they pull probably ?

the truck is just a little K-10 so hum

thanks for learning me on anything you can

gonna take all year to remove all this stuff, theres all kinds

but id like to learn what it was all for,

thanks

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

if there is a trailer ball on the floor of the bed that is for a gooseneck. probably used as a farm truck, but a half ton is a little small for that type of towing. The connector in the bed if for use when towing a gooseneck of fifth wheel, the one in the bumper is when using a bumper pull. The brake controller is an old one that sends one hot wire to the trailer connectors. The amount of power sent is controlled by how much brake fluid pressure is senses. Most units today use the brake signal on the brake pedal switch to determine when you are stopping. If you plan to do any towing, I would remove all the old stuff and start with fresh brake controller and trailer wiring that way you know what you are dealing with, and know you can rely on it.

3. R77K10

R77K10 Banned

good explanation :D

i learned something new, thats cool., been a while sinc ei have

lol

i rmeoved all the trailer harnesses today

what a mess it was lol

the gooseneck harness says 7 wire 14 guage on the sheathing

shoudl i save it or is there no point ? its about 6 foot long, real good shape

or is it not worth much ?

going ot remove the trailer brake unit next,

the click of the lever moving when i hit the brake everytime is starting ot get annoying to me

thanks!