Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer Brake - is it worth it?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Nov 1, 2005.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, a while ago, I bought this really nice trailer brake controller with plans to put it in the Blazer. I thought I might have to do a little towing. Now. after many months reading here, I decided to turn the Blazer more toward offroading. Now, I cant decide if I should go through the trouble of wiring it in, just incase I might tow something in the future.

Do any of you guys keep a trailer brake controller and plug on your rigs?
    Do you think it would get in the way?

I have all the parts. Gonna make it a 7-pin/4-pin [​IMG]

and I got the adapters for 5-pin and 6-pin.

Heres the controller
    http://www.tekonsha.com/prodig.html

2. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

I'd go ahead and put it in. I like having the ability to haul something, even if you never do.

How's the bumper? :D

3. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, those were my thoughts too. I just wanted to see if people were against them cause they have the potential of getting caught on something and torn off.

Bumper is great. Now I need to switch the mount plate to an 8-lug. Finally joined the 1-ton crew. It looks awesome now. Still has a bit of work, but it should be drivable now. Had some driveline issues, but its temporarily fixed. Ill make a thread in a few days with a bunch of pics.

4. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just mount it on the backside of the bumper. Nowhere does it say that it should be mounted where it would get caught on stuff. The plugs clip into the housing. I did this for a friend that had a 2003 lighting and didn't like the look of the plug in so we just hid it.

5. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Socket on the back of my Sub points straight down and is up behind the rear bumper. A little silicone where the wires pass thru at the top and it's all good.

6. jhellwig

jhellwig 1/2 ton status

Cut a hole in the bumper and mount it there. Quite often you will run into a trailer where the wires barley come past the hitch let alone being long enough to go under the bumper.

7. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the suggestion, but not gonna cut into that bumper. Its a nice custom job that Steve hooked me up with. Might mount that plug on the back though, I like that idea. I might make an extension if I find I need one.