Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer brake wiring help!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Beast, Jan 15, 2006.

1. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I recently bought a 20 foot gooseneck trailer to pull my truck around as well as for utility useage. The wiring on the trailer was really sorry. Even though all the lights were good, only one worked. There were scotch locks everywhere. I ripped it all out and started fresh with 18 gage wire I had laying around. The only part I'm unsure of is the wiring for the electric brakes. I have 2 white wires coming from each brake and I have no idea what to hook each one to. Neither of the wires has continuity to ground. I think that one of them needs power and one needs ground and that it doesn't matter which one is which. Am I right?

2. 6.2puller

6.2puller 1/2 ton status

Yes, Blue from brake controler in one wire, out the other to the next brake then out to ground. They are basically electro magnets so either way works.

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

18 seems a little light for any distance w/ more than one light. I'd be wanting 16 or 14.

4. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Thanks 6.2Puller. I didn't know trailer brakes are supposed to be run in series. I ran mine in parallel.

5. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

series gives more even braking power, but one crap connection and you got no brakes at all. Here in Phoenix there is enough road debris that I have lost a few under trailer wires to runnig crap over, just something to consider

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Perp, could you explain how running trailer brakes in series gives them more braking power? Also, thanks for the advice about bad connections. My trailer has 1" thin wall tubing welded along the wire route so that most of the wire is well protected. All of my wiring is also protected by spiral loom and held in place with zip ties and cable clamps.

7. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

it doesn't give them more power, just makes sure all of the brakes are getting the same current. if you have resistence in any part of your lines and you are in a series, all of the breaks will be effected equally. if it is parallel, the backing plate on the leg with more resistance will recieve less power than the other three (tandem axle 4 wheel brake). I still run mine i parallel. just for peice of mind, but you can do it either way.
    I need to get conduit on mine soon.