Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Trailer Brake Wiring Question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 78k20, Oct 3, 2004.

1. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

Just wired in a Tekonsha brake controller in the '78 3/4ton. When the trailer is plugged into the recepticle, I've got the green to the controller-a good thing.

There are two wires into what I believe to be the stoplight switch-a PINK wire that is hot all the time, and a RED that is hot until I press the brake pedal, then the indicator light goes out-no power. The instructions said to tap into the "cold" wire, which only has power when the pedal is pushed, so I tapped into the red wire-however, the red wire lights up the indicator in normal position, however, when pushing the pedal it goes out.

While trying to "level" the controller, pressing on the brake does nothing to the controller-however, without touching the pedal, I can level the controller per the instructions-basically, it's backwards from what it should be-works when not pushing pedal, doesn't work when pushing pedal /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif.

So, do I need to switch to the pink wire-hot all the time-thinking that the cold one will kill power when pushed, or is my stoplight switch bad? What do you think I need to switch here. There isn't much room left, so I was hoping someone had some advice before I really do some damage here.

Thanks in advance, any other suggestions welcome too as to what could be wrong.

Mike

2. tunedportk5

tunedportk5 1/2 ton status

do your brake lights work when you step on brakes, you should also check to make sure you have a good ground on the controller and trailer wiring.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sounds to me as if you wired it into your cruse control cancelation switch instead of your brake light switch. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

4. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

tunedport-
    Yes, all lights, signals, etc. work fine, and ground is good. Controller lights up as it should when connected to the trailer, just backwards from what it should be.

Tim-
    /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Is the cruise control the black rectangular deal that clips on??? The other option is all wrapped up in a black cord. I have a bad feeling you're right about that-didn't even think about the damn cruise-never has worked anyway.

What's the easiest way to get that cord apart? Do you know off hand which color I should be looking for? Man, I'm such an idiot! Should have remembered that damn cruise!

Thanks!

Mike

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Dunno if the colrs are the same for chevy and furd but I just hooked up brakes on our F250 and it used a pink wire on the brake light switch.

6. 78k20

78k20 Registered Member

Thanks, guys, for the help. Turns out Tim was exactly right-somehow while attempting to wire up the controller by a fading flashlight, I missed the actual brake wires for the stoplight switch entirely-and had tapped into the cruise cancellation wire. Oops! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Anyway, looked in the daylight today, actually found the correct wires and got it hooked up and working perfectly-brakes on the trailer are now dialed in, controller works great! For those who may need to do this, it was the White wire into the back of the stoplight switch that is "cold", or only works when the pedal is pushed.

Once Again, Thanks very much for the help, you guys are great!

Mike

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sorry I didn't reply. I never know what color wire is what, that's why I have a test light.

Glad to hear you got it fixed though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif